09 December, 2019, 10:26:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Monday 8th June Midweek Wander  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Fish

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 23/08/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYears
Monday 8th June Midweek Wander
« on: 09 June, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
Ahh what a fateful morning that was. Here I thought I had left myself with plenty of time to meet up with everyone at South Bunbury aka the end of the freeway. Got onto Charles Street at Scarborough Beach Road and thought all was well until the traffic was only moving 5m every 5 mins, this isn't good I thought to myself. Anyways when I finally got near the Charles Street Freeway entrance I spied some idiots blocking 1 lane of Charles St near the entrance to the freeway with trucks in peak hour. Needless to say just on the Freeway get a call from Beachy "Fish where are you" "Only just got on the freeway" I say. So it turned out I would be meeting everyone in Pinjara. Off I go getting stuck behind a few people who felt like driving 30km below the speed limit on the old South West Hwy. 5kms out of Pinjarra another call from Beachy everyones pushed on and to meet up at a roadhouse other side of Pinjarra. We finally meet up and off we trundle towards Harvey out to the Harvey Quindanning Road where we finally meet up with the rest of the crew.

Wasn't long and we were split up into teams to complete one of 4 Peel Night Nav courses they completed last year. Off we go easy start this isn't too bad till we get to the first spot to answer a question Carabella's Clearing. Here is myself and ET scouring the clearing looking for any clues with Wozza mentioning that we wont find anything and its probably a figment of everyones imagination that this "person" existed. Turned out Wozza was right. Off we proceed yet again till we hit a really tight spot that Wozza needed a quick spot, I needed few goes to get through and ET managed to get through with a few scrapes of the old XLR8 sliders. Few more tight turns and very steep descent which if you stuffed up meant you ended up in the creek feeling a bit wet and sorry for yourself. Few of the other teams seemed to get a bit lost on this one but everyone found their way back to the start point which is the main thing.

Everyone stopped for some lunch and a few stories before we all set of on the next nav exercise. Beachy wanted a few photos so each time lined up before they took off with a few Hawaiian good luck signs thrown for the benefit of the camera. Wozza was in the lead again and we were proceeding quite well before Beachy calls up on the UHF "think you missed a break right back here" so we back track and complete the "break right" and continue on. Wasn't long before we ran in Selfy and crew which was a bit strange because they were the first team of the rank. Few more tight turns between trees and we get a fork which there is no instructions about. Wozza and ET consult the trusty GPS and a break right ensured we were still heading on the right track. Few minutes later we hear Beachy on the UHF trying to locate other teams that had Kept Straight On instead of Break Righting at what shall be from now on called the Fork what bloody Fork. Few more scrapes and tight turns between some trees and we were at the finish point on Talanalla road.

Everyone eventually made it and a few jokes at Wozza's expense wanted to make him depart very quickly before he was on the menu for the evening meal. Brisey lead him and Ash back to Perth while the rest of us went exploring through the hills of Harvey. Chatter on the UHF was all about how easy the tracks were and it looked like a bull dozer had taken to them. Anyways we finally made it to Evils Folly with everyone having a go and making it except Beachy who was a bit worried about his canopy.

Few more yarns were had before we hit the road again saying goodbye to the southerner folk. Off it was to the Pinjarra Pub for a debrief and a few tall stories. Cheers to everyone who came along it was a great trip. Thanks to Beachy for leading the Trip as well as the Peel 4WD Club and Brisey for providing the Nav trip notes.
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

brisey

Re: Monday 8th June Midweek Wander
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
Sounds pretty close to what I remember. Well done Fish.

Cheers

Bri

patrol1978

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
Hey Guys,
Its Simon here. I just wanna thank everyone for a cool day out. My co driver and I were really glad we came out. Thanks Beachy for taking us.
I will keep an eye out for the next one.
Cheers guys

Wayne57

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »
Great trip report Fish 8), wish I could have been there but had to work :(

Offline WPC Trips Subcommittee

• Trips - Sub Committee
  • WPC Member Since: 15/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »
Courtesy of Franko's Patrol...

Well to say the least this was a very interesting day that started with a bunch of patrols being lead up the road by a jeep...we had to mark out 10k's to see what our odometer read and use that figure to calculate distance for the two nav runs. When we arrive at the start point & briefed by Bri & Beachy and split into pairs, the thing that caught all our ears was that some things might not be where they say??? the calculations didnt help as we got really lost, numerous times (sorry dusty boy). the second leg was much better, we were the third group to leave and first to arrive. once we had waited for the straglers some of us headed out through some lumpy stuff and onto the pinjarra pub  ;D some piccy's below

the line up

the wrong calculations

gettin it right

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines