16 December, 2019, 01:45:20 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...  (Read 13953 times)

BigBaz

Re: Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...
« Reply #20 on: 11 November, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
Oh and I seem to recall some video teasers as well floating around a certain website as well?

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
  • PM For Air conditioning repairs and regassing
  • WPC Member Since: 03/07/2017
    YearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 003
« Reply #21 on: 12 November, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
If anyone had pics from their 'setup recovery area' please get them to me asap  to add to the video if you don't mind thx

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
Just for those who may still have stuff left to unpack...

Thanks to the amazing exploding battery, we headed off to Geraldton a couple of days earlier than planned to stay with some friends.

We got a call on Sunday evening to say that we'd left a (not so) small traveling companion behind

It seems it was the buddy to the one that we were chasing around Ropes' camp site on Monday morning

Offline 40HRSSUX

• Associate Member
  • WPC Member Since: 18/09/2019
« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
No ants.......like we all had at Murchison house station

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
    YearsYears
« Reply #24 on: 13 November, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »

If anyone had pics from their 'setup recovery area' please get them to me asap  to add to the video if you don't mind thx

Don't worry will just use what ive got....

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Information & Communications - Sub Committee
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #25 on: 13 November, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

Don't worry will just use what ive got....

Hey mate, we do have some pics and vids, just haven't had time to sort through them yet, what's your deadline?
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
    YearsYears
« Reply #26 on: 13 November, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
Beer o clock.....

It gets a bit funky after that editing hahaha

Leaving slots for them so next day or 2? Jpeg is easier for me already spent 6 hours making 2 minutes worth

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Beer o clock.....

Leaving slots for them so next day or 2? Jpeg is easier for me already spent 6 hours making 2 minutes worth

Righto, PM me the email address you need them sent to.
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #28 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »

Beer o clock.....

Righto, PM me the email address you need them sent to.
Pm me as well.
I'll add a couple that you can use. / throw away...
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
    YearsYears
« Reply #29 on: 14 November, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »

Offline IFFY

• Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive..
  • WPC Member Since: 17/12/2011
  • WPC Member #: 122
« Reply #30 on: 17 November, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »
What a great trip, yet another blast at the GasDash  ;D

The river not only like mudflaps and the such, but also likes adjustable front sway-bar links... both front sway-bar links on my rig to be exact...

If you fridge slide doesn't want to come out smoothly like normal, don't force it to... Fridge power cables are not cheap... (and you have to drink you beer fast to stop it from going warm..)

If you decide to make your own rear draw setup, don't use MDF... its poo poo...

Corination Hill has an awesome view, if you get a chance to get away from the radios (I had 3 going at once. VHF, UHF & a hand held UFH) to enjoy it...

Driving the race course fast(ish) is fun :)

And crossing the finish line @ 90km/h.... 'coz finishing is everything....

Patrol 8, Out.

Not to get technical...but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Dear alcohol,
We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer. I saw that video. We need to talk...

BigBaz

« Reply #31 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Heard some hints at some interesting but possibly scary things that happened on the dash. Wondering who will be the first person to break the code of "what happens on the dash stays on the dash"?

Roped-in

« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

Heard some hints at some interesting but possibly scary things that happened on the dash. Wondering who will be the first person to break the code of "what happens on the dash stays on the dash"?

"What you talk'n bout Willis?"  *raises one eyebrow*... 

Pssttt.. Dash peeps, come here.... closer.. Good. *looks around to see if anyone "un-dash" is in ear-shot* "Phew!!!.. Hey that was close!  I'm currently condensing my trip report in keeping with code" *wink*..

Nah, in all seriousness, the naive Nav's wayward perspective will be posted soon :-)

Offline RobsGU

• Trips - Sub Committee
  • WPC Member Since: 06/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
Well what can I say except I had a fantastic time, from chasing Doc & Dusty around the track to been chased around the track.
Iím sure that everyone that came along had a great time and will be there next year.
As for NST we might just leave that on the trip hey for people that donít know what NST is well you will just have to come along next year.
A big thanks to Richard for leading the trip and cooking for me you are an absolute champ my friend and Iím sure Paul Kelly was happy with the work that you put into the mapping and getting all of us into our recovery spots even if it was the long way round .
Sue Nikki and the girls I know itís a bit of a boyís trip but it was great having you guys with us and Maddi keep an eye out for that rain.

Cheers for now.   
7" member 10

Roped-in

Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...
« Reply #34 on: 27 November, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »
Gasdash and beyond from the Nav - Patrol 4

The Driver flew back from Sydney, having been away since September, he certainly had a task ahead of him to prepare for our trip before we set off.   

First, he needed to re-aquaint himself with his girl, they'd been apart from each other for so long, another Driver had been behind the wheel and not looked after her the way HE would have.  Even her sub tank was empty, this kind of treatment was startling and faces were pulled.  (Duly noted by The Nav for future reference).

The usual servicing, minor nuisances with the mistress needed to be ironed out to feel comfortable before setting off into the wilderness.

OH..and then there was the REAR BAR.. The rear bar I might add that was ordered in July, had been consuming a large space in the garage since late August was burning a hole the size of Ayers Rock in The Drivers OCD brain.. 

So with the assistance of Rob, he did the obvious and added to his to very long to-do list, the complication of also fitting the rear bar prior to our departure.

Fitted.. Albeit in a rush.. A happy-ish Driver now  (hehehe.. yes it had crooked wings).

Now, I'm not sure if The Mistresses rear bar's crooked wings were the catalyst for the chaotic headspace that followed but I do know that when The Mistress is not looking as gorgeous as she should, The Driver tends to get a little messy until it's resolved.   (Note this was fixed immediately upon our return).

Finally packed, tiny bit of sleep under The Driver's belt, none for The Nav (not our proudest moment).  We drove from Secret Harbour to Carnarvon, meeting up with The Flying Badger and Sue (Nikon user *wink*  you started it Jon).. it was a big day,  I'll let the Driver fill in the gaps and swerves in his recount. 

There's a child buried in there somewhere in the bags of snacks and pillows..

It's a long day...

The Nav, finds a way to pass some time... Bored much?.. More lame iPhone shots..

We finally arrived in the evening at Carnarvan to join the rest of the crew, they were looking as exhausted as we were from their days adventures.

Hats off to Wintersun Caravan Park, a lovely place, fabulous showers.. I may have taken a "fraction" too long getting ready ;-)

I woke the first morning at the park to the sound of Richard creating my very own pre-coffee, mudslide.  Smooth moves on my part, donning thongs and pj's, I made it look like I was ten pin bowling, which for those that were there, mornings are not my strong suit.  It's something I'm working on, change is hard.

After a few laughs at my expense, coffee was injected and a load of washing on.. To get the mud off my monkey pj's..
Lesson No. 1. 

Do not leave entire packing up to The Driver, repeat mantra.. 

Even if you ask The Driver the same question 3 times and he says "yes, it's packed" each and every time, don't believe a word, physically check packed items off a checklist..

A quick stop into Geraldton and then again at Carnarvon (for bedding) fixed all key forgotten items..

We relaxed around Carnarvan for the rest of the day, I could feel the stress of everyday life starting to fall away already.

The next morning, we packed up and we're off, I'm now Nav of soon to be named Patrol 2, off to the prolog to snap some action shots trackside.   Covered in dust and well, let's just say I try not to think about what else is in the dirt when it sprays all over myself and my beloved camera gear as the buggies and 4x4's flick past.

✅Insert pic

Prolog photo fun over and we're off to our new camp, hoping for that eagle shot along the way.  A quick detour via Rocky pool for The Nav to see it's beauty.

Not so good for swimming, so we headed to the Gascoyne Junction water hole, to wash the dirt (and eweeeee) off and cool down.. Jumping approximately 20 degrees from our usual suburban temps.. the tempered water can only be described as devine at this point.  A slice of heaven in this dry heat.

Lesson 2..

You can't drink enough...

Turns out, The Nav is an outback Rookie, dehydration happens all too quickly.. I had to source a couple of different types of liquid refreshments from Patrol 2 Driver supplies to get through the day.  (I'm the only one allowed to have a drink, sucks to be The Driver haha).

Mental note: Take double the water you think you need!! 

After a quick swim, we commenced the new nightly "Richual", fuel, feed and "briefing"..

Lesson 3...

It won't budge

Packing food boxes on wheels, full of tins, on those rubber floor mats with holes in them, in the camper, so they won't move.  Awesome work Driver.. It works!  They won't bloody move!!  The Nav needed the equivalent strength of ten men to lift and slide food boxes at the same time in the tiny space.

Gas Dash trackside day 1..

Up early and into position, Tick.  The Nav reasonably impressed with her early morning effort, for those that know her well  (NST was actually requested by The Nav to ensure her readiness).

It's stinking hot already..  Lesson learnt from previous day.. Slip, Slop, Slap and Drink!!   The race commences and I settle on a spot to shoot some of the action, special thanks to Doc (Patrol 12) for lending me his telephoto/s to make it possible to sit in the little shade provided by my new best friend "Timmy" (pictured below, far right).. I'm in love with Timmy at this stage, he's looking after me, shading me from the cruel world, I am down on bended knee, camera gripped firmly in my hand. 

Lesson 4

Heat, lack of sleep makes one feel a little more deluded than normal.  Take the "Timmy" tree story for example and the multiple exposures of my new friend.

Between buggies and bikes we set off in search for a vehicle breakdown.. Returning, The Driver chose a new shady parking spot, whilst clearly it seemed a good idea to The Driver,  parking the rear of the Patrol on significantly higher ground than the sandy riverbed below (that has a tendency to swallow you whole with each step), added a further obstacle for the vertically challenged Nav and kids.

Ropes photography contribution x 2 pics;

Add that to stacking tables, chairs, camera bag and all other assorted items on top of the fridge (no slide) and icebox, well, let me just say it is not a pleasant experience with two kids in mid 40 degree temps.   

The Nav, metaphorically and calmly threw her hands up in the air, wishing that roofbag we WERE going to use was around somewhere.. The Driver was then asked very nicely to access all food, cool drinks and refreshments to keep kids entertained when they weren't plugged in.  Yes.. The Driver did mutter under his breath lots...  I note at this point, that this kind of ongoing disorganisation for an accounting brain such as the Nav's, significantly impacts the NST zone..

Fridge slide is currently being sourced and rear of car design in progress.

The race continue's, there's a little bit of action but the soft sandy river bed, slowing down the vehicles, doesn't provide much magic from The Nav's photography perspective.

Finished for the day, Gascoyne Junction is calling...

Afternoon cool down in the water hole with rope shenanigans, then photography bug kicks in.. Sunset photo shoot only to find The Nav is missing a vital component of gear.. Tripod foot (the bit the camera sits on) has worked itself loose and is missing...  *insert face of terror*.  Later found missing piece in the back of Patrol 4.  PHEW!

Lesson 5

Tighten your nuts n bolts

As kind and gentleman-like as it was, sharing a tripod is kind of like having one Patrol and two drivers, one wanting to use high range, the other wants to use low range and each choose a different line to take down the track. 

As the sun disappears... you betcha.. nightly "Richual.." commences, rinse and repeat..

Gas Dash trackside day 2...

Another early start, mission accomplished (pats self on back for being on time (note WA, not NST).

We have a beautiful scenic location and I can not resist, the camera is out, I'm out getting my photography on, laying down in the river bed wishing I had more time to get my tripod out and photograph it properly. 

The Driver summons me and selfish photography session is over.   I think it had something to do with coffee being ready for me and the race starting soon, I tried to stall but he was persistent.  You'd think I was laying right on the track or something?

At days end, another fabulous dip in the water hole to cool off..  Ooh, a storm is brewing, and the mad keen photographers are off again.  The place to be was up on the hill, it proved to be a magic spot and the lightning storm that followed was spectacular to watch. 

The last of the formal nightly "Richual's" was called, this time, in the scenic location up on the hill.   As Mother Nature put on her show, congrats and thanks were passed around for a top effort.  I can vouch, WPC can hold their heads high, impressive work!

One happy Nav now, I think I have a decent lightning shot or two.   

Up early again to pack camper and head off to the Kennedy Ranges, THIS is why I came!!

The things you find under your camper

Lesson 6

Packing camper.. It might take 2, 3 or even 4 camper pack ups but eventually The Driver implements your ideas and space is saved in trailer..  say nothing, in fact, praise him for his thoughtfulness and brilliance.

Camper packed and we're loaded, aside from my morning coffee spill all is well although, the kids are over the heat by now.. Tension builds in the back seat, typical sibling comments ramp up a notch "get your stuff from my side you beep beep". 

Patrol 2 takes the pressure off by offering to take a Nav with him.. He nicknamed her "Rowdy" by the end of the day.. She was happy plugged in and she appeased him with the odd game of eye-spy.   Thanks Mr Trips, you're a champ!

We make our way to the Kennedy Ranges..

Towing a camper along the gas dash race tracks made life a little more interesting for The Driver but it was something he wanted to do (I think he's just being nice to me and a swag would have been so much easier.. Let it be noted I offered!!)

The constantly changing scenery made the day go fairly quickly, spectacular country we live in.

Stopping for a photo op on Lockey's Knob along the way, then the odd iPhone windscreen shot or pano..

The illustrious Mr Trips had us to our next destination in plenty of time to set up and explore the gorges.

Lesson 7

Exploring the Gorges was mind blowing.,

.. *insert an embarrassed Nav* nough said.. At least I provided some entertainment for the handful of us game enough to tackle the trek.

Having not been on a trek like this before I was grateful for the guidance provided by Richard *cue music "short people, got no reason..."*. Google it if your generationally handicapped..

The trek through the gorge was certainly worth the effort.

Although the heat we fear was all a bit much for Howzit..

The next day, only two of us were brave enough to tackle the trek up to the largest of the gorges..

Oi..wait for me!
Richard??..

Photobomber!

Lesson 8

Going up so much easier than coming down..

A big thank you to Richard for putting up with my slow pace, I have never experienced anything quite like trekking through this kind of terrain before.  Personally, I found it the highlight of the trip.. Getting off my butt and enjoying this gorgeous country despite the hot conditions.

The rest of the trip is an anti-climax for The Nav from there as we make our way further South towards Canarvon and then home, stopping along the way.

One more gorge on the way out, Honeycombe, this time I was able to take my girl with me.

Driving on top of the ranges..

The constantly changing scenery.. (Sorry about the dirty iPhone windscreen shots)

Then the Patti.. (Patrol 2, I think your girl was just after some attention from the boys)

Out of a rut..

Looking for our next campsite..

Still looking..

We all camped for the night.. With the majority of the remaining group heading home not long after first light.. Then there were three..

Biggest and weirdest chips.. Road tripp'n food

A big thank you to all in attendance for your company, thoroughly enjoyed the trip and getting to know you all a little better.  As for next year.. I may just have a dilemma with Christmas & Cocos Island Photography Club trip on at the same time..  At least you won't need to factor in NST..

Lesson 9

This trip gave me lots of time to reflect on what is important in life.  The most important.. Doing those things that are good for your soul.  So, get out there, often, make sure you do a little something everyday that makes YOU happy.  Everything else will fall into place. 

Lesson 10

I knew we had a great club but this trip really opened my eyes to the character and calibre of people in it for me, one I am proud to be a part of.  The hard work that goes into this kind of trip is unmeasurable and true friendships are made of this kind of banding together.   Great effort out there guys!  (Off sentimental soapbox now)

(I'll insert MORE pics very soon..)

Cheers from the Nav..

P.S.  I was a good girl and didn't mention the flies once..

« Last Edit: 02 December, 2013, 01:11:58 AM by Roped-in »

Offline Howezit

« Reply #35 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
As far as a club trip goes, these Gas Dash trips have it all...

1) We get credited with involvement in an awesome event.. one that many people would love to get to but just never will. And we get up close with the action at this event.

2) They're a proper trip, in that they invariably land up covering at least a week, involve getting some distance between us and home, and get us off the bitumen.

3) They're a combination of work and fun.

And this one was no different.

I could report on the fun that we had, but let me be different and line myself up on a few fines :-[

From my side the trip had a few funnies that I'll admit to.

The first was even before I got to Carnarvon, which was the official meeting point for the trip.
I had mentioned to ET that, seeing as I wasn't leaving Perth terribly early, we'll meet overnight at Galena Bridge. Seemed simple ;)
The unravelling of that simple plan proved complex..
I was "spotted" going through Geraldton and contacted on my phone because my radio was off (I was on channell 40, not  the club's channel 20). This brief communication gave the obviously incorrect impression that I was behind these guys.
The end result was that ET (together with a few others) waited just before Galena for me to come through. But the fact of the matter was I was already through and setup at Galena.
After a long wait by these guys, ET wandered on over to Galena while the others carried on to Carnarvon.

And the loose ends to the story were put together 2 days later at the Gas Dash race complex when I finally met up with ET.
He, camped on the southern side of the river at Galena, noticed "some dude" camped opposite him on the northern side of the river with a blue light (instead of the customary white light) under his awning.
Well, that blue light was me 8)
I thought everyone knew that! I've been accused before of being the only one in the 4WD community with a blue awning light.

Another funny I'll admit to...

I've been caught out in 3-wheel-drive a few times recently due to one dodgy hub (now fixed).
Well I thought I'd be OK in the thick "sinking sands" of the Lyons river so long as the tyre pressures were down enough.
And I was...
Until my first "recovery" of a striken Suzuki...
Aahh well.. we got there in the end with a bit of help from Iffy.. but it was a bit embarrasing :-[

And it didn't end there!

On the final day Iffy and I exited the race track under the finish banner.
But just before the finish banner there's a long sweeping corner.. and just before that (in front of lots of spectators) is a section of the dreaded river sinking sand.
My 3-wheel-drive came to catch me out one more time as I drifted off to the left and got nicely bogged.
Iffy went flying past me at full revs (presumably in 4-wheel-drive) hoping to keep his momentum till he got to the harder stuff and then through the finish line.
So, one recovery vehicle bogged :(
I had one chance at redemption.. That was to get out, drop the pressures some more, and hope like hell that the spectators would see what a difference reduced tyre pressures can make. Hopefully they'd see this Patrol, bogged to the diff in river sand, rise as if by magic, and scream on down the river, around the bend and over the finish line.
And, fortunately, they did :) :)
Whew.. that would have been embarrasing if I'd have had to call Iffy back...

One last embarrasing moment, for which I even received an award on the last evening of the Dash..

Day 2 saw me and Iffy positioned at the top of what is probably one of the highest points on the track. The effect of being up there was that we landed up being the only guys who could relay messages around the race on the VHF radios that we'd been issued with.
So Iffy took this task to heart and excelled big time! I think "Patrol 8" became famous on that day. In fact Iffy also got an award for his efforts.
But that's not how I earned my award...

With 2 radios in the vehicle.. the VHF on the Gas frequency and the UHF on the emergency frequency, it was easy (c'mon.. agree with me here.. it was easy..) to mix up the two handsets. They were both black.. they both had curly wire attached to them..
Well, it was probably the only time I'd had to use the radio (because Iffy was doing such a good job for us), and I picked up the wrong handset. "Race command" were quick to suggest to me that this may have been the case, because what I was saying (intending to be on the emergency channel) made no sense to them ;)
Yep.. embarrasing..
At least I only picked up the radio once all day, so only had the opportunity to make one mistake.. It could have been much worse!

Other than that, all went well :)

And I'd encourage more of you to get up there next year.
It really is a fun trip!

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
  • If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member Since: 29/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #36 on: 11 December, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm up for it...

Do you want to pick a different spot not to meet up in 2014 or do we stick with not meeting up at Galena again now that we have started a tradition?

I wasn't even offended when you started off and walked past my camp to visit the crapper and didn't stop (at my camp not the crapper)...

Not stopping at the crapper happens a lot with roadhouse food... sometimes so does not making it to the crapper before you start but for starters that is a valid reason not to stop at my camp (or the roadhouse).

You may need to stop at the Chemist so you can start some meds to help you stop (at the crapper not my camp). Make sure you stop the Meds when they start tho otherwise it's really hard to start again after you stop (at the crapper) and noone wants to have to use meds to stop and start straight after one another.

We could maybe start to  consider not stopping at the place we arranged not to meet up at before we started because if we don't meet up then noone will know we haven't stopped there and then we could start off stopping somewhere else (as long as it has a crapper of course).

Waddyareckon... start of a good idea or stop while were are ahead even tho I was behind ?

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Offline Howezit

« Reply #37 on: 11 December, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
So, when/where are we stopping?
Are we there yet?   ???

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
  • If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member Since: 29/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »
So, when/where are we stopping?
Are we there yet?   ???

... just look for the blue light... it's either you or Rosco

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Roped-in

« Reply #39 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
A wasted talent there ET.. 😆

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines