20 April, 2021, 05:53:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...  (Read 17675 times)

SPN WRC

Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...
« on: 07 November, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
WPC members, this is Patrol two...

I'd like to extend a big thank you to all the members that came along for the trip and for the volunteering at the Gas Dash. I had a great time and hope you all did to.

As you may or may not know, not one person had been officially nominated for the trip report, despite the threats. You are all to put up the memories and highlights from the trip please. We all did different sections and not one person got to see the lot, so do share.

I've just walked in the door and managed to wash the first layer of red dust off. Now to get this nail polish off and I'll through my bit up soon.

Thanks again for a great trip.

Cheers,

Richard

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 027
Re: Gas Dash 2013 and beyond...
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
I heard there is an interesting story about you Richard but yet to hear the details...

SPN WRC

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
I heard there is an interesting story about you Richard but yet to hear the details...
Only one Rusty? I'd like to hear it to. I'm sure there are a few.

Offline Bloggsy

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • Quiet GU owner. You've been warned!!
  • WPC Member #: 032
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »

Only one Rusty? I'd like to hear it to. I'm sure there are a few.

Have you managed to remove it yet or are you getting a second coat? Haha!!

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
I don' have any pictures of the pink toe nails, but I did get this..
A broken window and stuck right next to the track.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Doc Evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Life Member
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
The advance party met at Richard's place on Sunday arvo. A quick repack of food between mr and mrs trips ;D and we were away.
Bets were taken whether the pub would be open in Northampton which was our meal stop before Galena bridge.
The pub was open and a meal was had. Not long after we trundled to the overnight stop.
After a natter, we retired for the night. The morning was a relaxed affair packing up as Billabong roadhouse the first port of call for breaky.
Mrs trips  :P (Rob) was the odd one out as he opted for oj and a toasted ham and cheese sanga instead of flavored milk, bacon, eggs and other assorted fried food stuffs.
The shortcut to gassy junction via the Meedo rd was taken and was our first taste of dirt and the first taste of the heat that was to come.
With an ice cream (mrs trips had cravings) as incentive to get to gassy, tyres were deflated quickly and we were off again.
Before long we arrived in gassy junction only to find the servo that was supposed to be open wasn't neither was the pub. Rob was devastated. We decided to go to the swimming hole. Oh that was bliss. The water was just right and the rope swing amused mr and mrs trips for hours. Daniel and myself just sat back and watched the shenanigans........
A few hours overtook us and we decided to find a camp spot out at the station. To say it was warm was an understatement. Anywho, we ended up propping in the beer garden at camp coona (unless you go, you won't know what I'm on about ;) ) as the breeze was quite nice.
Tea was cooked, well Daniel and mine were. Seems mr ocd took an empty gas bottle 1000km ;D ;D .
Luckily Rob had a full gas bottle.
In the morning we wait for Paul Kelly (event director) to turn up so we can waypoint the course. We ended up helping signpost the course. This was a laugh as mr and mrs trips were in the gu and Daniel and myself in Daniel's gu. The race was on to coat each other in dust or get the posts up as fast as possible.
Just on sunset the worst happened. Daniel destroys the sidewall on his tyre with a partially hidden rock. Being this was after close to 10 hrs on the course, the sun going down and still around 40degrees, we change the tyre over. By this point we had drunk close to 6lt of water each. We solemnly trundel back to camp after almost 11 hrs in the saddle. Was a long day.
To be honest, I really cannot remember that night as I was so exhausted. I think we had a feed (Daniel brought some home made chilli sausages.......yummo) and yes, I had salad :o
Wednesday dawned hot but Daniel  and Richard still had to do the 55km sunday river section. Rob and I were going to meet them at the swimming hole on our way to Carnarvon.
After a short swim, we head west to the coast and some relief from the heat.

Who wants to continue?
« Last Edit: 07 November, 2013, 08:20:07 PM by doc evil »
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
  • If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member Since: 29/05/2008
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
Every day I spend on Planet Earth I like to learn something new.
At Gas Dash 2013 I learnt...

No matter how long you wait on the side of the highway for a mate everyone guarantees you is "absolutely definitely somewhere behind us" to catch up, they never will when they were actually always in front of you.

On a 38 degree day "Beer ist goote" and a stubby or two is sweeter than life.

The longest distance between two points on the Earths surface is way Patrol Two will tell you is shortest way to get there.

5 metres of fencing wire has the ability to become 100 metres long when wrapped around a transmission shaft.

You can traverse a patch of soft sand as much as you like without incident but you will get bogged up to your agates as soon as there is a competitor in the car.

On a 42 degree day a few icy stubbies prove "Beer is God's Nectar" and hardly touch the sides going down.

Fencing wire is actually a sentient alien life form and an ambush predator of incredible skill.

As darkness falls and you sit there, beer in hand, looking at the lights from the camps 100 metres away on the North side of the River wondering what happened to your mate... your mate is sitting over there 100 metres away on The North side looking at the camps on the South side wondering the same thing.

On a 46 degree day Beer is a powerful hallucingenic that makes you think it is actually fun to die from heat exhaustion.

Fencing wire has a tensile strength of bugger all until it wraps around your transmission shaft at which point it becomes tougher then the cable holding up the Golden Gate Bridge.

After leaving the perfectly graded pristine gravel road and spending ages weaving thru the corrugations, wombat holes, trees, ruts, sand bogs, fencing wire, tyre spikes, washouts, rocks, jump ups and cow poo poo to travel the vaguest hint of a track to get to your allocated place... yes... that perfectly graded pristine gravel road you find 50 metres away from your destination is not an hallucination and is indeed the same one you left.
You know this by actually being able to see, about 500 metres away, the point where you left it.

Fencing wire is a member of the Iceberg Genus, 95% of the bastar... errr... stuff is actually under the sand

There is an as yet unknown animal inhabiting the Gascoyne that lives in sand bogs and exists solely on a diet of patrol Mud Flaps

Andrews Copter is cool. If it can be programmed to deliver beers its status will be elevated from "cool" to "awesome".

Fencing wire will be an even better ally for mankind than the Vulcans if it can be trained to only attack Prado's.

If you break your collar bone you get a ride in "small chopper".

Under no circumstances will permission ever be given to travel reverse course, none, nada, zip, zero, nyetski, not ever... well except that is deleted on the grounds of self incrimination and common decency

Travelling reverse course after all the competitors have passed makes it is much easier to see the oncoming race cars who obviously didn't get told they had already passed you and therefore can't possibly be there.
This is a racing game also known as "He who is going slowest has time to poo poo himself the most"... or.. if you are in the Race car "what the #%&$ was that"

Goat curry is pretty damn good tucker... assunming it was actually Goat. the rate the road kills disappear was a tad suspicious

If you want the chopper pilot to have a cow... don't answer his radio calls (it is gut bustingly funny listening in and drives him batshit psycho)

The easiest way to make sure no-one answers the Chopper Pilot is to send him about 30 kilometres away from the location of the person he is calling

The possibility that the warm spots in the swimming hole may not actually be hypersaline thermoclines produced by diurnal cyclic solar heating is inversely proportional to the amount of stubbies consumed by the people around you divided by their reluctance to leave the water raised to the power of the stupid grin on their face.

Another game that is even better than "Who said $#&$ on the radio" and "Don't answer the Chopper" is to issue a VHF call sign to a person that doesn't have a radio and get Race Command to try and call them, over and over and over and...

Cubicle 4 is the best shower.

Water is life but Beer is... is... is... well, just plain better.

I no longer know what I hate most, Mud, Prados, Alien Fencing Wire Beasts or the Gascoyne Patrol Mud Flap Sand Gobbler

I'll just have to go back in 2014 and sort it out I reckon (note to self take more beer and get it even colder)

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Offline Doc Evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Life Member
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »
Every day I spend on Planet Earth I like to learn something new.
At Gas Dash 2013 I learnt...

No matter how long you wait on the side of the highway for a mate everyone guarantees you is "absolutely definitely somewhere behind us" to catch up, they never will when they were actually always in front of you.

On a 38 degree day "Beer ist goote" and a stubby or two is sweeter than life.

The longest distance between two points on the Earths surface is way Patrol Two will tell you is shortest way to get there.

5 metres of fencing wire has the ability to become 100 metres long when wrapped around a transmission shaft.

You can traverse a patch of soft sand as much as you like without incident but you will get bogged up to your agates as soon as there is a competitor in the car.

On a 42 degree day a few icy stubbies prove "Beer is God's Nectar" and hardly touch the sides going down.

Fencing wire is actually a sentient alien life form and an ambush predator of incredible skill.

As darkness falls and you sit there, beer in hand, looking at the lights from the camps 100 metres away on the North side of the River wondering what happened to your mate... your mate is sitting over there 100 metres away on The North side looking at the camps on the South side wondering the same thing.

On a 46 degree day Beer is a powerful hallucingenic that makes you think it is actually fun to die from heat exhaustion.

Fencing wire has a tensile strength of bugger all until it wraps around your transmission shaft at which point it becomes tougher then the cable holding up the Golden Gate Bridge.

After leaving the perfectly graded pristine gravel road and spending ages weaving thru the corrugations, wombat holes, trees, ruts, sand bogs, fencing wire, tyre spikes, washouts, rocks, jump ups and cow poo poo to travel the vaguest hint of a track to get to your allocated place... yes... that perfectly graded pristine gravel road you find 50 metres away from your destination is not an hallucination and is indeed the same one you left.
You know this by actually being able to see, about 500 metres away, the point where you left it.

Fencing wire is a member of the Iceberg Genus, 95% of the bastar... errr... stuff is actually under the sand

There is an as yet unknown animal inhabiting the Gascoyne that lives in sand bogs and exists solely on a diet of patrol Mud Flaps

Andrews Copter is cool. If it can be programmed to deliver beers its status will be elevated from "cool" to "awesome".

Fencing wire will be an even better ally for mankind than the Vulcans if it can be trained to only attack Prado's.

If you break your collar bone you get a ride in "small chopper".

Under no circumstances will permission ever be given to travel reverse course, none, nada, zip, zero, nyetski, not ever... well except that is deleted on the grounds of self incrimination and common decency

Travelling reverse course after all the competitors have passed makes it is much easier to see the oncoming race cars who obviously didn't get told they had already passed you and therefore can't possibly be there.
This is a racing game also known as "He who is going slowest has time to poo poo himself the most"... or.. if you are in the Race car "what the #%&$ was that"

Goat curry is pretty damn good tucker... assunming it was actually Goat. the rate the road kills disappear was a tad suspicious

If you want the chopper pilot to have a cow... don't answer his radio calls (it is gut bustingly funny listening in and drives him batshit psycho)

The easiest way to make sure no-one answers the Chopper Pilot is to send him about 30 kilometres away from the location of the person he is calling

The possibility that the warm spots in the swimming hole may not actually be hypersaline thermoclines produced by diurnal cyclic solar heating is inversely proportional to the amount of stubbies consumed by the people around you divided by their reluctance to leave the water raised to the power of the stupid grin on their face.

Another game that is even better than "Who said $#&$ on the radio" and "Don't answer the Chopper" is to issue a VHF call sign to a person that doesn't have a radio and get Race Command to try and call them, over and over and over and...

Cubicle 4 is the best shower.

Water is life but Beer is... is... is... well, just plain better.

I no longer know what I hate most, Mud, Prados, Alien Fencing Wire Beasts or the Gascoyne Patrol Mud Flap Sand Gobbler

I'll just have to go back in 2014 and sort it out I reckon (note to self take more beer and get it even colder)

GOLD ;D
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
Some super trip reports there Doc (being serious) and ET (also telling no lies)  :D
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

BigBaz

« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »
Sounds great, beer guzzling, hot, dry, sense of humour challenging great fun

clunk71

« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
Some great story telling there....  Had me a chortleing

Offline Ropes

• Trips Orificer
  • Committee Member
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2013, 09:36:32 AM »
Patrol and Camper are clean and unpacked, now to get on with writing our version of events. ::)
02 GU III 6.5 V8 Turbo Optimizer + 88 GQ SWB TD42
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Roped-in

« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »

Patrol and Camper are clean and unpacked, now to get on with writing our version of events. ::)

*Cough* washed, yes.. You write yours.. I'll write mine :-P

Offline 40HRSSUX

• WPC Member Since: 18/09/2019
    YearsYears
« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
I need some fencing wire.....

Anyone got some at the right price???

Did the same ET. Found some on the track at Gnomesville no fences anywhere but it was happy to try and pull a front mud flap off😣

SPN WRC

« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
Well, I guess I'm up. With the car mostly unpacked, washing mostly done and quality time credits mostly earnt back, I'll do the most of this during work time, just to keep in the theme.

Lesson's/notes I've learnt during this trip include:
Just because your the trip leader, your still treated as a need to know basis, and apparently I didn't need to know. Never the less, setting of early afternoon and driving up the coast road heading north, you'll get to here all about Rob's erections. This will also see you pull into a country tavern, no matter how much talk of it being closed, it'll be open. Also note, the more a meal is talked up, and thought about the more disappointment you get.

Noted that "No Through Road" signs, mostly just apply to Hyundai's, and the rest of you should be sweet to get through. A rope swing on a tree, above water, on a day near 40C, has the capability to turn even adults into kids. Soaking in warm water is still refreshing on a hot day too, especially with a cold lemonade.

I learnt that WPC doesn't only stand for Western Patrol Club, but something about plumbers too. Camping under a shade sail, might be nice during daylight, but that holds heat in at night yall. I learnt of two new times zones within WA, NST and PKST. Both of which seem to run on completely different scales. Taking 4 vehicles to track mark and plot a GPS track is really inefficient if you only use one. This then leads to track marking 101, and dusting races. These races are then improved and helped my the intake of said talked about Mars Bars.

I've also seen first hand, from both side, that being up front you can become oblivious to what happens back in convoy. High lift jacks are well... you can decide that one. Thunder storms at sunset are amazing to watch, just not through a windscreen with minimal vision due to the hanging dust. Withholding chips from Rob makes him cranky. In fact, a group of men camping together, manage to synchronise there periods well.

The dry river beds are very hungry, and it might have something to do with the under sand mud flap grabberer? Another good point was that the temperature gauge on the dash, has a mind of its own. Hot days are still hot, even with wind. One way to tell is go for a swim, and see how refreshing it is, and no your not getting use to the heat yet. Just as you thought you were getting use to the heat, drive from Gascoyne Junction, to Carnarvon, on a near 40C day, with the heater on. That aint living, but very tiring. Early nights are a privileged.

That gets me through the first part of our trip. A few highlights from my point of view was watching and being part of a great club in action. From banding together to get tires up to clubbies, to going above and beyond what was requested of us during the event. Every one put in 200% on this trip and I'm proud to have been the communication point with the organisers of the Gas Dash, representing the WPC.

I was glad to hit the Kennedy's after the event to allow myself to switch off for a little while. Yep, that's right, no more briefings. Another big thanks to my wingman, camp wife, kitchen b$*@h, what ever you refer to him as, I'll just leave it as Rob. He was a big help during and prior to the event, with organisation and a great sounding bored. Thanks to Craig, for lending me your co-pilot, and a big thank to Nikki for taking the reigns after a long day.Thanks to my temporary Navi, Alex. You did a great job of entertaining me, even if you did stretch the truth playing eye spy.

Some points I'll take on board for next year. Take my own thumb drive and wear it around my neck. More briefings, everybody loves them. Stick to verbal directions from the organisers, make it fair that everybody get lost, not just a couple. Take two tripods, then I might get to actually use one. Position ET at Pells, that way he shouldn't have to sweep through to Pells. Take less food, you'll fit more fluids in that way. Even though you might get bored, stick with the road more travelled.

Well, that about it from me for now. Again I can't thank people enough. I for one will put my hand up to be in on the Gas Dash 2014. Hopefully more of you will be too. And if you don't get any of the above, and want more information, maybe you too should consider coming along.

Cheers

Richard

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
  • If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member Since: 29/05/2008
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #15 on: 11 November, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Gold Richard

I got most of it  ;D   
Witnessed half of it  :o 
Caused some of it...  >:D... and 
leaving even earlier next year to make sure I'm part of all of it  8)
... well, all except the Pells bit... bwaaahahahaha  :P

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

BigBaz

« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
Sounds great, need pictures and more detail of the Kennedy Ranges though.

Offline Ropes

• Trips Orificer
  • Committee Member
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
Just for Baz, a sneak peek.
02 GU III 6.5 V8 Turbo Optimizer + 88 GQ SWB TD42
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Offline RobsGU

• Committee Member
  • WPC Member Since: 06/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
And we still never found the ice-cream truck 8)
7" member 10

BigBaz

« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »

Just for Baz, a sneak peek.

Top shot cheers,

Saw a few on face ache from the usual suspects but some up here for everyone else is great as well :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines