19 January, 2020, 06:26:01 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Gnangara Pines 5th Anniversary Trip  (Read 10925 times)

Offline XLR8

• Unfinancial Member
  • TD KILLER
  • WPC Member Since: 27/05/2018
    YearsYears
Gnangara Pines 5th Anniversary Trip
« on: 03 March, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Thank you to all who attended, it was a great turnout. I will put a trip report and some video up later. If anyone has photos or footage from the trip they can post it here.

Cheers
Mike

UKKIWI

Re: Gnangara Pines 5th Anniversary Trip
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
I have a photo I'll put up tomorrow after we get back from Lake Leschenutia, Chidlow. (Eh Mike ;-))

And a few more words as I'm the one doing the trip report!

SPN WRC

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks to Mike for leading the trip full of entertainment. From broken pan hards to hugging center consoles it was a great arvo out.
Next time though, might pay to have the trip leader in a water cart truck.

Thanks again.

clunk71

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Superb day and night, thanks for leading the trip Mike, the advice and the snags........... So when's the night run up there???? ;);)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • Go you White Weapon!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 027
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Thanks Mike
Great turnout and nice day
Shame my clutch played up so I couldn't have a play but glad everyone else got to (except Bloggsy)

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Information & Communications - Sub Committee
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Sounds like Bloggsy has a story to tell?
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Oh yes!
Another fun trip.
I've not driven in such a dust storm before.. always good to do something different.
Like Richard said.. a water cart would've been handy ;)
I must say.. I'm impressed with the way the clubbies hung around till those with issues were helped. Great bunch of guys :)
Thanks again, Mike!
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

brisey

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »
Another great trip thanks to all who organised it & came along. Hopefully you have the car sorted soon Darren.

Cheers

Bri

UKKIWI

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Trip Report

I was late!
A lot late!!!
XLR8 Mike had to hold off on the drivers briefing until I got there.
Very informative, thanks Mike for waiting.
There was 19 vehicles in attendance, very good turnout.

We maneuvered onto Ngangara Road and headed a couple of Ks to the east and into the forest.
We stopped after about a kilometer to engage hubs -- no airing down allowed!!
A bit more of a drive on the soft sand at road pressure.
We stopped for something along the way and Rustynails couldn't get going again - he wasn't stuck. (Clutch I believe.)
I couldn't get going either, i got stuck, I got out on my own, but still - I got stuck!
The last bit of track into the play area was real soft, it was real hard to get though - air pressure had to be lowered.
We arrived at the play area, Yaaa.
Bloggsy joined Rusty in not being able to play. (Panhard Rod damage.)
I resisted for a little while, but not long. I drove around a while at 15 PSI in the tyres but it was hard work. 3rd gear to hit some of the hills to get over.
I dropped the pressure to 10PSI and I was down to second, what a difference it made. I got stuck again.

I had to leave about 4, I had a 21st to be old at! Quite a few needed to leave too.
Mike lead us out to the road. I had to take it easy as I was still on 10PSI in the tyres.

Mike returned to the play area to do the BBQing.

Thanks Mike for organizing and leading the trip.

Until next time,

Chris.

And thanks Mike for getting me unstuck.

Offline Bloggsy

• Quiet GU owner. You've been warned!!
  • WPC Member #: 032
« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
Thanks to Mike for leading this trip and chucking on a BBQ, just a pity I didn't make it to the end :( The testing of the LED lightbar out in the bush will have to wait for another time :( :( Although I did get to use it on the way home on Neaves Road :)

Now a HUGE THANKS goes out to Mike and Matt (aka Rev) for sorting me out with the supply of a standard GQ front panhard (waiting for comments from the GQ brigade  :P  ) to get me out of the poop. It got me through the next section and home just with a handful of clunks due to driver's side being slightly different from GQ to GU. Even without a steering dampener there were no shakes through the steering.

HUGE THANKS to all those people that helped me remove the busted panhard and fit the GQ one, you know who you are, even those that made suspicious looking drawings on the front fender  :o Dylan, my half inch socket set is now back in the car - permanently!! Thanks for the use of yours. What do they say? "Pack it and you'll never need it. Don't pack it and you'll need it."  ::)

Also, thanks to everyone for being patient with the situation and sticking around near the end to see me off safely. What a CLUB!!  8)

Oh yeah, I also had a posessed LED park light that thought it was an indicator.  ???

I've managed to track down a s/h std GU front panhard which has now been fitted along with my old OME steering dampener, so that'll do for now until I can sort out getting an adjustable one.

Here's a pic of the offending front panhard. You can just see the 2-3mm of shiny bit on the short end that was holding the panhard together. I'll be contacting the suspension place today to see what they have to say about it, not their fault, granted, but whoever made the it and supllied it, should be shot!!  >:( >:(  I'll be getting the rear panhard checked out too.

« Last Edit: 05 March, 2013, 07:35:48 AM by Bloggsy »

figjam

« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
Glad it ended well for you Bloggsy
It was an impressive effort by Mike, his mate and the guys to find parts and get you going
I thoroughly enjoyed sitting back and watching  >:D

clunk71

« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
You'll get no comment from this GQ owner Bloggsy, the look on your face on Saturday was more than enough ;)

Offline Bloggsy

« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »
You'll get no comment from this GQ owner Bloggsy, the look on your face on Saturday was more than enough ;)

Was that the "I am really p...ed off" look?

clunk71

Re: Re: Gnangara Pines 5th Anniversary Trip
« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

Was that the "I am really p...ed off" look?
yep, that was the one!!! :))

Offline Bloggsy

« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
The only photos I got. All my video is blurred :( Should've bought a GoPro.

clunk71

« Reply #15 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
Well I suppose I best start up where UKKiwi left off....................... the following were left XLR8, Howezit, MyTroll90, Almost dun, SPN WRC, Bloggsy, Clunky and I must apologise profusely but I forget the new forum member and partners name (the owners of the TD42 turbo green & gold GQ hightop).

After XLR8 left to lead the soft folk away from stage 1 of the trip, we gathered around Bloggsy's stricken GU to watch and ponder. In hindsight we probably should have given Mike's son a hand to set up their newly purchased BBQ and got the snags started before Mike got back but the allure of a GU being helped to get going again with a 20 year old GQ part was overwhelming.

Also watched a Hilux filled with some clever blokes attempting the hills but having no luck.

Mike returned, cooked up the snags, which we ate and we finally got to leave stage one roughly three hours later than what was planned. Heading North, with a fair few left and rights on the way, plenty of dust, a few hill climbs which Howezit seemed to have a few issues with, proclaiming he had left the handbrake on but I didn't recall ever seeing her in the car. A little more dust..........

Getting to Neeves Road an couple of hours later, where we said ta ta to Bloggsy and again I must apologise profusely but I forget the new forum member and partners name (the owners of the TD42 turbo green & gold GQ hightop).

Then on to stage 3........ crossing Neeves Road, still heading North, following the powerlines and dust. On the way we veered off that track as Richard wanted to show us a large hut in the middle of nowhere, which was nice............ couple of very large buks, large enough to chuck a couple of swags on, benches, tables, dunnies round the back (somewhere) and a rake. Anyway, enough of that excitement, jumped back into the patrols once more back to the dust & powerline track heading Northish westish again, up past the dust & Power station, following its fence line, finally ending up at some hills, where we played around for a wee while. I think we decided to call it a night roughly around 10pm.....................

Howezit, MyTroll90 & SPN WRC headed back down south to where they needed to get to in order to get home. Myself, XLR8 and AlmostDun headed along the eastern tracks towards Muchea, encountered some extremely soft sand towards the end, where we had to drop a lose a couple of more pounds or pressure out of the tyres just to make it out, I think I ended up dropping down to 10 psi. Eventually got out on to the main road, aired up and headed on home............ finally getting home some time after midnight.

And yes, my better half was extremely happy with me the next day!!!!  :o

Did I mention the dust!!!!!???????   :D

Thanks once again to Mike, superb trip....................... one that should be made into a night run!!!!!!!!  ;)

Oh and here's the path we took

« Last Edit: 06 March, 2013, 08:52:42 PM by clunky »

Spoiled

« Reply #16 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
Sorry for late response. I didn't check this section (Club Trip Reports) earlier.
A big thanks to Mike and all for your encouraging words, which gave me big boost to come along without a single mod/equipment/experience. I throughly enjoyed and learnt a lot in few hours. I have got few snaps to share with you all 

clunk71

« Reply #17 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
Good pics there Spoiled, was good to see you giving it some up those hills too....... so when do the mods start? ;D

What you tapin at!!!!!????

Spoiled

« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
Good pics there Spoiled, was good to see you giving it some up those hills too....... so when do the mods start? ;D

What you tapin at!!!!!????

Well..... got to start pretty soon. Will start with a decent compressor  :)

rhys

« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Looked like a fun day out, and would have been ideal for myself and the wife to make ourselves known.
However we spent the weekend camping and fishing down at contos in Margs.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines