20 April, 2021, 06:41:29 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Holland Track  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
Holland Track
« on: 19 September, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
So, while we wait for the designated trip reporter to get his act together..  >:D
Here are a few notes re: this trip.

I have to say that this was probably the best trip I've done with the club.
There was a real good combination of bush camping at a different spot each night, mud, clay, sand, narrow windy tracks, strange weather and iconic sights.

We all (except Al) met at Wave Rock caravan park in Hyden on Thursday.
We had a good look around the iconic Wave Rock.
Al rocked up on Friday morning, and then we hit the road to the start of this portion of the Holland Track.
It was soon obvious that we were going to enjoy the effects of a lot of rain that had gone through this area.

This was quickly highlighted within 10 kms of the start of the track where Thomas (2ShortGQ) managed to drown his shorty.
This resulted in a quick trip back to Hyden (accompanied by Rob (RobsGQ) and a day spent with the two of them drying out Thomas's car. The "fix" was to bypass the security system which (it appears cooincidentally) pooped itself right then in the puddle.

Thomas and Rob were to rejoin the trip that evening.

In the meantime, within the next 10 kms, we stopped in front of another puddle of dubious depth with a chicken track off to the side. At this point Jon (TheFlyingBadger) made an educated statement along the lines of "With the amount of rain that's been through here, where there's a chicken track, we should probably take it", and then promptly ignored his own advice and went straight into the puddle... resulting in another drowning!
For the rest of the trip Jon's carpets enjoyed a life of their own on his roof racks.

Friday night was spent camping a short distance after Mt Holland.
This is where Rob and Thomas rejoined the group after taking the "main road" out of Hyden and up the Forestania Rd.
Just for a bit of extra fun, it rained softly most of the night, so that in the morning awnings and tents were packed away nice and wet, and the track ahead had gotten a bit wetter.

It quickly became obvious that Al was going to be the firebug on the trip as he enthusiastically got a huge fire going each night.
But then he had the time to...
He had the frustrating ability to arrive at a campsite, and within 5 seconds shout "I'm done!". All his "done" involved was tilting his front seat forward to make it easier to get into bed, whereas the rest of us had awnings, swags, roof-top tents, etc to contend with....

Saturday's trip was great. We enjoyed a lot of long muddy puddles, a lot of slippery clay (highlighting the vagaries of ABS where, at times, the car just wouldn't stop!), some long and fast narrow windy tracks and same beautiful scenery.
At one point we passed a group including some soft roaders travelling towards us who we assured would "be right mate.. Just stick to the chicken tracks ;)"
I think the amount of "fun" that they had ahead of them would have been in direct proportion to the amount of ground clearance they were missing on some of those vehicles!

Saturday night was spent at Thursday Rock (Beachy's calendar kicking in!) with no rain.

Sunday dawned with light on/off rain most of the morning.
After walking up Thursday rock, we hit the track until we came upon the Victoria Rd section that takes you into Coolgardie. Instead of going there we left the track (after approx 200 kms) and wandered off right.. down to Cave Hill.
A good hike eventually brought us to the cave.
At the car park we left some very bemused sedan drivers wondering how it was possible that 7 patrols could be so dirty.

From here we wandered down to Sunday Soak and then down a real "Beachy" track towards 36 Mile Rock. This track was probably the most persistently windy track I've seen in my life!
There were a lot of fallen trees that explained many of the deviations.. but as for the other 90% of the deviations!!... Without power steering that would have been a real upper body workout!

Sunday night was spent camping a few kms from 36 Mile Rock.

On MOnday morning we headed onto the old Hyden Norseman Rd back towards Hyden.
Al and Ewan (Figjam) went in the opposite direction for fuel, before Ewan joined us later in the day at the exit to the Holland Track and Al hit the road home.
We left the Hyden Norseman Rd and headed north up the Forestania Rd towards the first half of the Holland Track, planning to do it in reverse for the benefit of Rob and Thomas who missed it on day 1.
On the way we went past an old abandoned mine.
A few of us had driven along one of the tracks around the mine before a sink hole just opened up out of nowhere and swallowed Jon's front right wheel. Amazing!
On exiting the Holland Track (at the beginning again), Ewan was waiting for us just to say "Hi!" before he headed off home.

Monday night was spent back at the Wave Rock caravan park where it rained (at times heavily) most of the night leaving us with some wet gear to take home.

And so ended the trip... with everyone making their way back to the big smoke.

And a few pics....

« Last Edit: 19 September, 2013, 02:28:08 PM by Howezit »
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Doc Evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Life Member
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
Re: Holland Track
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »

Please explain..........................why has badgerboy skidded into that little puddle instead of going around it, why are some vehicles pointing the opposite way, what happened to badgerboy's bullbar parker/indicator light, so many questions,  so little time ;D
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Please explain..........................why has badgerboy skidded into that little puddle instead of going around it, why are some vehicles pointing the opposite way, what happened to badgerboy's bullbar parker/indicator light, so many questions,  so little time ;D
There was no chicken track so he assumed the puddle was safe :)

We'd gone down that track and found a dead end, so Badger had turned around already.. some hadn't.

Badger's light went the way of much of Badger's gear early in the game..
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline 40HRSSUX

• WPC Member Since: 18/09/2019
    YearsYears
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
Great report Graham.

Firstly a thank you to all that helped recover the shorty and clean it out....yes walk the water, check the depth and put rope on ready.......i must remember that >:(

A huge thank you to Rob for traveling back to Hyden with me as the immobiliser had gone into a turbo timer mode cutting out every 1 min which i didn't even know it had...Thank you to Ewan for having a bath while putting on the rope. And also to Graham for using his Sat phone.

The local auto sparky got there at about 7.30 and 10 mins later it was fixed and i had an immobiliser ready to burn on the fire then a quick test drive and Rob and I shot back out to meet up with the Guys dodging kangaroos.

Set up camp and had some dinner and then on to the next day and luckily the shorty went like a dream after that.

Stropp

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
some of my pics  :o

Stropp

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
more pics  8)

Stropp

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
more pics  ::)

Offline Doc Evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Life Member
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
There was no chicken track so he assumed the puddle was safe :)

We'd gone down that track and found a dead end, so Badger had turned around already.. some hadn't.

Badger's light went the way of much of Badger's gear early in the game..

Ah, that explains the light, lemme guess, the first drowning of bruce, the beachy trip vehicle directions, but how the f did badger end up in that tiny puddle. There looks like plenty of room around said puddle :o ::)
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2013, 04:34:25 PM by doc evil »
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Stropp

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
i think as graham said in his trip report, badger said its wet here and there is a chicken track and we should take that, then proceeded to drive into said puddle lol.

Offline RobsGU

• Committee Member
  • WPC Member Since: 06/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
A big thanks to everyone that came along and are silly enough to follow me  :P.
Its great to see when out on a trip like this how everyone just pulls together when someone gets stuck.
We had all sorts of gear coming out of cars to help get the submarines back on the tracks it was all in to help and that's why we have a great club.

7" member 10

BigBaz

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
Looks like a great trip and real driving  challenge ( and to everyone's sense of humour). Well done all.

expatkiwi

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »
Great read and pictures.. disapointed I missed it.. :(

Offline IFFY

• Information & Communications - Sub Committee
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive..
  • WPC Member Since: 17/12/2011
  • WPC Member #: 122
« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »

I didnt realise Thomas had such a long neck....
Not to get technical...but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Dear alcohol,
We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer. I saw that video. We need to talk...

Beachbums

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2013, 07:28:43 AM »
Great trip guys, wish I could have made it.

Did you find the graves at Sunday Soak?

Cheers, Wayne

figjam

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

Some camping areas from my pre-trip Starvation Bay towards Esperance
We could do this trip including an almost reverse run of the Holland trip in the future
And a gratuitous catch of the day shot  >:D

This last one was at the Breakaways on the Hyden-Norseman Road

« Last Edit: 20 September, 2013, 03:11:28 PM by figjam »

WALTER EGO

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Fabulous writing and photos - UKKiwi and I are so sorry we didn't make the trip.  Its right up there on the 'bucket list'

Offline Bloggsy

• Quiet GU owner. You've been warned!!
  • WPC Member #: 032
« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Great report and pic guys. Jealous is I.

Roped-in

« Reply #17 on: 26 September, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
Do-over?  Well, with less submarine impersonations.. 😉  Looks like it was an awesome trip, top photos and trip report. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines