20 April, 2021, 06:22:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Mundaring Powerlines – 13/04/2013  (Read 10958 times)

Offline XLR8

• Provisional Member
  • WPC Member Since: 21/07/2020
    Years
Mundaring Powerlines – 13/04/2013
« on: 15 April, 2013, 08:46:48 AM »

WPC Attendance:                  Lynton (Stropp )                                Guests:     Joel (Luvpsi) 
         Adrian (Clunk )            Shane (Bullant)
         Ewan (Figjam)            Aaron (Smqk1n)
         Andrew (L300)
         Richard (SPNWRC)
         Chris (Pfeifer)
         (Mike) XLR8   

I arrived at the meeting point around 6:40, sure that I wouldn’t get the trip report but was surprised to see everyone all parked up and having a chat while waiting. After topping up the tanks (car, driver and passenger) we had a bit of a natter while I tried to sort my fridge. Not wanting to hold everyone up and make it too late a night, I threw my drinks in Richards fridge and called a quick drivers meeting before heading up the highway.

We turned in at Sawyers Valley and travelled up to the water tanks where we aired down and started along the powerlines track at around 8:00. The track is a lot worse than the last time I was there and is obviously getting a lot more use, even in the summer months with some good sized potholes and plenty of corrugations.  We cruised along with the odd minor obstacle here and there until we came to the first real challenge of the night, a hard right hand turn with a couple of drop offs and ledges, nothing too serious if you picked your line right, but enough to lift wheels if you didn’t. With all but the leafy opting to have a go, Richard got the camera out to get some good flex shots. Once everyone had gone down, Ewan and I decided we’d go back up it for the fun of it. Not to be out done Aaron swung the Paj around to have a crack. I’ll let Richards photos tell the rest of that story but will say the expression on the drivers face was priceless.

Once Aaron had managed to extract his seat from a place not to be mentioned on the forum, we headed further east toward Flynn Rd with not much excitement other than a small bog hole or two. Once we’d crossed Flynn, it didn’t take us long to start seeking out the more challenging lines. Anyone who has previously done the powerlines will know them well and those who haven’t should do it atleast once.  With so many options and challenges available, it was left to driver’s discretion as to which track or line they would take. Myself, I took the hardest , nastiest lines I could find, not always successfully but I gave it a go. Some followed my lead in some instances, while others opted for less difficult, yet still challenging, lines. Those remaining, who must have thought we had rocks in our heads, chose to go around the gnarly stuff. Along the way, Lynton took us off the track a little to a nice little rock climb he had been shown recently, which everyone had a go at before heading back on to the main track again, ready for the next adrenaline rush. Unfortunately for Joel, his adrenaline peaked a little when he got a little out of shape on one of the descents, although he managed to recover himself without incident.  We continued through to West Talbot Rd, taking up any and all challenges that presented themselves and finally aired up around 2am Sunday before heading home.

As a picture tells a thousand words, I’ll let Richard and Lynton post their photos up to tell the full story. Thank you to all who attended, it was a great night out and I really enjoyed myself. I apologise to those who were hoping for an early night or those who had plans for early Sunday morning .

Mike

luvpsi

Re: Mundaring Powerlines – 13/04/2013
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
Was a good trip thanks mike the adrenaline sure was pumping on that decent felt sorry for crystal as all she could see was the ground right next to her face haha

SPN WRC

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Pictures from the evening.

Thanks again Mike.

If anyone wants copies, I will have all, unedited, unwater marked shots available in a Dropbox folder I will share. Be aware there is over 300 to sift through. Please PM me if you want them. All I ask is if you repost them, please give credit where credits due.
« Last Edit: 15 April, 2013, 11:33:16 AM by SPN WRC »

figjam

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
Great photos
Thanks Richard and thanks Mike for running the night

figjam

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Scratches to both flare sections, rear quarter and light

RHR tyre scrubbing inner guard (minor). Has not scrubbed before with this setup but this was the first time use with swaybars diconnected. I have -ve offset rims and rear bumpstop extension

Driveshaft contacting muffler for first time with sway bar disconnected

Kaymar bar showing why it is there (both sides)

I also have a new dent in my front steering damper scrapes on the front diff pumpkin. (Woohoo, I obviously need some more mods)  >:D
Had a great time and put my suspension and front locker through their paces. Watching Mike have a ball I had to keep reminding myself it is a touring setup and is required for trip next week  :P
Should have known better than to try and squeeze a fat GU through the cut out, but I hated seeing GQ's leaving me behind :'(

Offline RobsGU

• Committee Member
  • WPC Member Since: 06/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Scratches to both flare sections, rear quarter and light

RHR tyre scrubbing inner guard (minor). Has not scrubbed before with this setup but this was the first time use with swaybars diconnected. I have -ve offset rims and rear bumpstop extension

Driveshaft contacting muffler for first time with sway bar disconnected

Kaymar bar showing why it is there (both sides)

I also have a new dent in my front steering damper scrapes on the front diff pumpkin. (Woohoo, I obviously need some more mods)  >:D
Had a great time and put my suspension and front locker through their paces. Watching Mike have a ball I had to keep reminding myself it is a touring setup and is required for trip next week  :P
Should have known better than to try and squeeze a fat GU through the cut out, but I hated seeing GQ's leaving me behind :'(

Get use to it :)
7" member 10

luvpsi

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
geez ewan you did more than me however i did manage to dent in a guard bend my bullbar and my exhaust but they were all quick fixes

Ledge

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Impressive... I recognise a few spots I normally drive past going "Screw that" that you guys went through.

Ill have to put the next meeting in my calendar.. I keep forgetting :\

clunk71

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
awesome awesome night, thanks for putting this one up Mike and too all those that came out to play and also to Richard for being the clubs memory maker for the night. My mate Dave was giggling like a school girl for most of the night (apart from where he said "You're not going to follow Mike up through there are you?????")  hand firmly gripping the Oh EFN Heck bar - That's the spot where Luvspi damaged his front quarter......................... but he giggled even more when I let him have a drive through some of the lesser gnarly bits.

Time for some new bar work me thinks, the bullbar is now sitting 1" over to the passenger side and the drivers side step has taken further pummeling..... have yet to see what else I've done but it still stops and drives in a straight line, so can't be anything major if there is !!!!! hahaha

figjam

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Maybe making just a few extra " clunks"?

Offline Bloggsy

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • Quiet GU owner. You've been warned!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 032
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
That's a bit of a worry Ewan with the driveshaft contacting the muffler. Would have thought it wouldn't have that much sideways play in it?? Think I'll be keeping my rear swaybar connected.

pheifi

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
And I got thru with no damage

pheifi

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
Great photos Richard thnx

figjam

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
No real damage to the muffler Bloggsy
Will just make a slight adjustment to move it over a bit more

Offline Bloggsy

• Quiet GU owner. You've been warned!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
  • WPC Member #: 032
« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
No real damage to the muffler Bloggsy
Will just make a slight adjustment to move it over a bit more

Yeah I wouldn't think it would do much in the way of damage, just wondering why it is hitting it. I assume you still have the standard bigar$e muffler on there?? Maybe a new exhaust system on the cards with a smaller muffler??  ;) ;D

Offline BigCol

• WPC Member Since: 29/11/2008
  • WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
great photo's Richard........

pity I was at that dreaded 4 letter word place, sorry to have missed it now

cheers
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

clunk71

Re: Re: Mundaring Powerlines – 13/04/2013
« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
great photo's Richard........

pity I was at that dreaded 4 letter word place, sorry to have missed it now

cheers
no doubt there will be other times Col

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines