29 September, 2020, 11:15:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: 2014 Peel 4x4 Night Navigation Run  (Read 12774 times)

Offline XLR8

• Provisional Member
  • WPC Member Since: 21/07/2020
2014 Peel 4x4 Night Navigation Run
« on: 15 September, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »
Despite planning to leave early and get to the Pinjarra Bakery by 1:00PM, we arrived to find everyone else had the same intention. The lengths that members will go to avoid a trip report is unbelievable. Obviously everyone was keen to get underway and no sooner I’d said my G’days and grabbed an overpriced and over-rated sausage roll, we were back on the black top heading for the unknown.

After a short and uneventful drive, we were off the bitumen, airing down and heading off again for our 10K odometer check. At the end of the 10 K’s, we were greeted by a couple of young lasses and handed our first taste of what was to come, a sample of the nights run sheets to guide us to our base camp for the evening. Things looked pretty grim from the get-go with my first instruction being that it was a non-smoking event (I’m a pretty unhappy soul without sleep, but take my sleep and my ciggies away and you better hope there is an afterlife!) Fortunately, this was later proven to be as false as the correction factor Rob was given. Bloomy, on the other hand instilled us with all the confidence we needed to admit defeat before we began, having to query the start that “START” actually referred to. Luckily, one of us had the foresight to question whether or not the distances were accumulative or not, however that person didn’t have the foresight to pass that knowledge on to his team mates. To my surprise, we did actually make it to base camp and, as it turns out were the first group to arrive.
Once we’d been ushered to our positions and our forms were filled in, we had the opportunity to mingle with other members from the various clubs as they arrived and take advantage of the 10 million hamburger patties, 3 million sausages and 75L of soup, kindly prepared and offered by the members of Peel 4x4. As the sun started it’s descent toward the Indian Ocean, we were all called together for our drivers brief, where we got our first, and most likely last, view of the perpetual event trophy.
Being that team numbers were allocated based on order of arrival/registration, Rob and I drew barrier 1 and Bloomy and Bigfoot drew Barrier 2 seeing us first in line to take on Loops 1 & 2 respectively. From here on I recount only our experiences, as the next time we were to see Bloomy, Knoxy & Jarrod was at 6:00AM the following morning.

Loop 1

We headed out the gate at a reasonable pace to give my navi time to get a few steps ahead and calculate the corrections required to keep us on track, a total waste of time considering that I overshot the third corner at about 2.3 K’s into a 28K course, adding another calculation for my navi…. What was formerly X * 1.1 was now X * 1.1 + .9. adding further difficulty, our next critical point required a level of accuracy that had gone out the window within minutes of starting and our chances of finding anything in a tree 15M to the left of the track were none and Buckley’s. After getting the bums rush from the next team, we gave up and moved on, allowing them to pass, as they were obviously in a hurry to get home. After a couple more “critical points” we’d got ourselves sorted and had found almost all of the markers or objects needed to answer the questions on our trip notes. This however didn’t save us any money at the checkpoint, handing over a handful of gold coins to get the correct answers to more than a few of the questions. BTW, we had caught up with the team that had passed us in such a hurry by the check point so figured we hadn’t done too bad even though we’d been out for 40 minutes longer than the supposed average of 2 hours per course.

Loop 2

Loop 2 was apparently one of 2 wet tracks and started out relatively well. Our navi’s were up to speed with how the sheets operated and were doing extremely well at keeping us on the right tracks and any overshots were purely driver error through not paying attention or not seeing the overgrown/obscured tracks early enough. The first couple of K’s were done easily and at good pace. The tracks on this course were far tighter than those on the previous loop and required a lot more attention and skill to negotiate. Unfortunately, it was on one of these tight sections around a fallen tree that Rob collected a stump that neither of us had seen , with all out attention focused on the other side of the track looking for the best line. After this we both were more aware of both sides of the car when swinging through the many twists and turns this course had and I started calling through warnings in advance. This course also contained many “Cautions” where navi’s were advised to guide the driver through tight obstacles or over bridges. It was one of these points where I jumped on the radio to advise Rob to stay left to avoid the big drop off to the right. Unfortunately all he got was “stay…. “, before his front wheel had gone off the track, putting the car on a lean not seen since Muddy Hollow a couple of years ago. The reply I got was “ ah, Mike. Come Back!”. After a quick assessment, we set the Ute up off the bank on the other side to anchor it and with a few max trax and 3 blokes holding the car upright with a strap the front was winched across and up, levelling the car out enough to safely drive it forward. We’d lost some time and had gathered a bit of an audience but all went to plan and we were once again on our way.

Our next two “Cautions” had us sitting around for a bit while we waited for an IFS Land Crab to be recovered and then for his team mate to get through so we could then show them how it was done. According to the marshals at these caution points, the only vehicles getting through without assistance was the Patrols, all of the cruisers were getting stuck. It went a long way to cheer us up and we managed to complete the rest of the course incident and accident free. This course had taken us just over 3 hours and put us back at base camp just after midnight for our compulsory break

Loop 3

Loop 3 was the shortest, simplest and quickest course of the night…… apparently. Not for us. To cut a long story short, we did 38.5 K’s on a 21 Km course and saw a good majority of it twice, getting back to base camp at 3:40. I am glad that we did eventually find the final section of that course… It was a pearler. Very technical and by far one of the more interesting sections of any of the courses

Loop 4

We almost didn’t get to do this final loop, having lost a fair amount of time on the other courses and this being the longest and apparently most difficult of the courses, it was thought we wouldn’t have made it back in time for sunrise. My navi had already crashed out in the later stages of Loop 3 and surprised me by begging to be allowed to do this final loop. I was keen to do it, based on the fact that even if we didn’t make it back within the time, we’d have at least had a crack at it. In the end, the marshals agreed to let us go out but if we weren’t back by sunrise, we would score a big fat 0. We hit the track with a bit more pace than any of the previous loops, my navi was more alert and on the ball than he had been all night, and that’s saying something. Might have been the 30 minutes shut eye he had on Loop 3 or the 2 cans of V he shot in the break. One will never know….
We hit the first obstacle, formerly known as the “PIT OF DOOM”, now more of a pit of disappointment as roughly 20 cars had been there before us and what had been a massive porridge pit was little more than a soup bowl. It was still fun and I’m kind of glad that it was easy and less chance of a hold up. We picked up the pace a bit more and with light bars blaring were getting through in good time until we beared left about 100M too early putting a 2.8Km deviation into our course. If I hear “I told ya so” from my navi one more time, I’m gonna blow a fuse! After a precarious but 3 point turn and a full throttle return trip to the main track, we found the correct bear left and were back on course. This loop had plenty the way of cautions but all the track marshals had obviously called it a night, so we had to rely on ourselves for recovery. Fortunately, I only needed extraction from the bog once and we managed to avoid or straddle the worst of it. The last obstacle would have been a real challenge for anything smaller than 3” lift and 33’s and Rob’s Lokka was his saving grace on that one. Once over that we were on firm, graded tracks and we were on the home run. This got me a little excited and several time a had to remind myself that it wasn’t a race and that Rob was still behind me so had to slow down or stop to let him catch up. I pulled in to base camp at 5:55, completing this last loop in a mere 1 hour and 45 minutes.

As you can imagine, drivers, navis and passengers were absolutely shattered by this time and bed was the only thing on our minds. We handed our forms in, had a bit of a chat while Rob and Bloomy compared scars and then wandered over towards camp. I don’t know if it was the coffee, the sun coming up or the relief that we had made it back, in time and in one piece (mostly), but none of us were tired anymore. Brody and I casually loaded up the car, aired up the tyres and headed back to Pinjarra with Rob, where we parted ways and made the journey home.

Thank you to all the drivers, Navi’s and passengers who came along and got us home safely, collected rubbish and generally kept our spirits up over the night. Special thanks to Peel 4x4 Club and its members for spending their precious time organising and running the event, feeding us, and keeping us topped up with caffeine. Well done on a great event, I am looking forward to the next one
« Last Edit: 16 September, 2014, 08:51:18 AM by XLR8 »

Stropp

Re: 2014 Peel 4x4 Night Navigation Run
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2014, 06:04:25 AM »
great write up mike sounds like it was a good time.

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:55:57 AM »
Sounded like a great night. Fair play to Brody though, i'd have needed a nanna-nap waaay before then. I hope there's pics of the "Muddy Hollow"-esque leaning, i've got a trophy that needs to be re-awarded to a deserving recipient!

Offline XLR8

• Provisional Member
  • WPC Member Since: 21/07/2020
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
very few photos taken over the night, I don't think there were any of the lean. Brody got one of mine bogged but I think that was it from us

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
very few photos taken over the night, I don't think there were any of the lean. Brody got one of mine bogged but I think that was it from us

If the aural evidence is compelling, then it will still be enough to garner a nomination..

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
Hmmm.. it sounds like you guys had a good (albeit stressful) time :)
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline BigCol

• Trips coordinator
  • Committee Member
  • WPC Member Since: 29/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:22:02 AM »
If the aural evidence is compelling, then it will still be enough to garner a nomination..

I know English is a hard language to learn (especially for English People), but

surely you mean ORAL Evidence........?????

or were you watching the report on a different "plane" to the rest of us...................
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

Offline BigCol

• Trips coordinator
  • Committee Member
  • WPC Member Since: 29/11/2008
  • WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
good job guys,
sorry I missed this, sounds like it was a great time
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

I know English is a hard language to learn (especially for English People), but

surely you mean ORAL Evidence........?????

or were you watching the report on a different "plane" to the rest of us...................

No, aural as well.

We are listening to the evidence (aural)
they are telling us (oral)

;)

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
I've got a trophy that needs to be re-awarded to a deserving recipient!

Trophy Nomination thread created over in Financial Members section (just in case anyone's insurance company is reading)

Offline Dusty

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 11/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 133
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »
Sounded like an intersting night great trip report Mike.
Go hard or go home

brisey

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
It was a great night I was on marshalling duties checking the incoming cars & paperwork & was on the go most of the night. Everyone looked real tired by morning though.

Cheers

bri

Offline RobsGU

• Life Member
  • WPC Member Since: 06/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
It was a great night out even if my car is now going to the panel shop for two weeks :(.
Big thanks to Iffy as my navi who did a fantastic job also Thomas and Jon for the back seat driving and passing the lollies when we needed a sugar fix and working out the clues top job guy's.
7" member 10

bloomy

« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
yes great night .thanks to knoxy navi and to other teams and as well to peel for their efforts in
setting the course up and to our own western patrol club for the entry fee .
i would certainly stick my hand for another go :)

Knoxy

« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
yes great night .thanks to knoxy navi and to other teams and as well to peel for their efforts in
setting the course up and to our own western patrol club for the entry fee .
i would certainly stick my hand for another go :)
Hell yeah Bloomy but u WILL be my navi and i will drive :-)
Congrats too Peel 4x4 for putting on a awesome event

CWMcCALL

« Reply #15 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
We, Bigfoot,Adam and I [2B] would like to thank Peel 4 x 4 ,WPC, all the marshalls,cooks,and bottlewashers for an

exceptionally well organised,very enjoyable overnighter.The old TD forged through all obstacles undeterred,obviously the lift

and 35s were invaluable but it's a patrol afterall, ;D

Cheers,CW

clunk71

« Reply #16 on: 25 September, 2014, 07:22:14 AM »
So where's the photos.............. Rob?????? 

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
The results are (finally) in......

1. Southside Team 9 - 97.8%
2. Adventure 4WD 7 - 92.5%
3. WPC 2 - 92.3%

12. WPC 1

Well done to team 2, I think that was the Mike/Rob team.

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • Go you White Weapon!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
  • WPC Member #: 027
« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
Well done boys

brisey

« Reply #19 on: 21 October, 2014, 06:10:25 AM »