16 December, 2019, 01:45:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: 4 Desert Trip  (Read 12635 times)

UKKIWI

4 Desert Trip
« on: 17 July, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
We're Back.

It rained in the desert - not everyone gets to see it rain in the desert!

It was decided to not go past the Gunbarrel Highway in the rain. We turned left and came out a week early.

More to come . . .

UKKIWI

Re: 4 Desert Trip
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
I did a good job at work that week so got thursday off as well.
Packed the car and took off about 12.
Kalgoorlie at about 6.30. Motel for the first night - one has to get into these holiday's slowly - right?!
Friday morning we catch up with Doc and Howezit and chat with Superjack and Ken. They had had trouble with the mirrors on Superjacks car on the thursday sfternoon.
We leave Kal about 10 as Doc and Howezit find food and fuel.
We get into Phone range of Laverton to a text from Doc - we waited for them at the Laverton Info Center - good Coffee and cake.
It was decided that Walter and I would continue on towards Tyukayirla RoadHouse, they would catch up.

These were the first wildlife we had seen since we left Perth.

We got the the roadhouse about 10 minutes before the others.

Another room. One should  get into these holidays slowly right?!

Saturday sees everyone with a roadhouse breakfast, stickers and fuel. Ready for a couple of weeks in the desert.
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2014, 09:08:10 AM by UKKIWI »

UKKIWI

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
Leaving Laverton

« Last Edit: 18 July, 2014, 09:09:02 AM by UKKIWI »

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
  • If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member Since: 29/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
I'm sure I've seen those Camels before...

Was the big one named "Get outa the way ya stupid Bastard"?

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

UKKIWI

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »
I'm sure I've seen those Camels before...

Was the big one named "Get outa the way ya stupid Bastard"?

I don't know if that was it's name but that was what I was calling it

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
A few more notes on this trip...

I met John (Superjac) and his mate Ken at the bottom of Greenmount Hill at 4:00 on Thursday.

We traveled to Kalgoorlie, visited the super pit, fueled up and then continued on to what was to be an overnighter before meeting the others in Laverton. However John's unfortunate rollover outside of Kal caused a change of plan. That night we spent at a caravan park in Kal, enjoying some good Chinese takeaway and all relieved that there were no injuries to either John or  Ken. It was a different story for the poor Patrol.

The next day Adrian (Doc Evil) and Chris (UKKiwi) and Jill (Walter Ego) arrived in Kal together with Iaian (Iffy) who had been summoned (together with trailer) to get John, Ken and as much from the Patrol as possible back to Perth.

Once this was all under control, Chris (and Jill going on in his left ear), Doc and I headed off to Tjuka Roadhouse. The dramas were to continue.

From my side I eventually had to remove my diesel chip just so that the car would run again. From Doc's side it was more spectacular. He managed to smack a roo almost dead centre on the bull bar, sending the roo together with bits of spottie, bonnet protector, and stuff that looked like it was originally inside the roo flying high enough to miss the windscreen somehow. Reviews of the dash cam footage show that the unfortunate marsupial was hit at exactly 95 kmh before becoming really airborne. Doc's bullbar took a hammering in the process.

Anyway, life moved on and after fueling up in Laverton we all arrived at Tjuka on the Great Central Highway safe and sound at about 20:15.

Doc's mates who are currently running the roadhouse provided a feast of note before we camped the night. The next morning I bought a "not the largest available" breakfast. Wow!.. It's just as well I went for the smaller one.. That had to be the biggest breakfast I've ever put away!

After fueling up we left Tjuka and headed for the David Carnegie Road.

On Saturday we camped 2/3 of the way up David Carnegie Road. We cranked up the first of our campfires. Unfortunately for the rest of the trip, it rained all night. This left us with some really wet tracks for Sunday.

Soft rain was falling most of Sunday as we headed to the top of the Dale Carnegie. That desert road, that just the previous day was hard and dusty, turned overnight into a soft and slippery ride with some very long and deep puddles to be negotiated with plenty of full lock left.. oops.. full lock right.. woah.. left again.. on and on...

One of these long and deep puddles was long enough that the end couldn't actually be seen from the beginning. This particular puddle had only one solution.. just keep going.. there was nothing to winch off and no one else could have gotten near for a snatch... so momentum was paramount. This was at the top of Doc's priorities as he barreled through the puddle and had no choice but to take out a tree that had half covered the track. The result of this was that the tree caught his awning and tore it, together with his roof bars and light bar off the roof of his truck. After walking back through the mud to recover this we strapped it all onto my roof rack and continued to where we met the Gunbarrel Highway.

With this type of soaking rain, and with not knowing how much of the area had been affected, we decided to pull the pin on the rest of the trip and head west down the Gunbarrel to Carnegie Station. Our understanding, having chatted to people over the next few days, was that we did the right thing. At the same time that our roads were being destroyed by the rain, guys on the CSR were reporting rains in their area as well. So, pretty widespread from what we could gather.

This is where we camped for 2 nights. This was also where I had to tie up my exhaust with wire and bits of rock. The dump pipe had completely broken off from the back of the turbo. And the blame for this can be squarely placed on the shoulders of the idiots who put my exhaust on.. more details on request...
So for the rest of the trip I had my exhaust tied to my chassis rail, with the dump pipe periodically lining up with the back of the turbo.. periodically not...

We left Carnegie Station on Tuesday midmorning, camped Tuesday night at a caravan park in Wiluna, and then left for Lake Mason on Wednesday morning.

We spent Wednesday night at Lake Mason. Having got the fire going at around 15:30, Doc put togther a massive lamb roast which he cooked over coals next to the campfire. Doc provided a huge leg of lamb and his huge camp oven, whilst I threw in some veggies and half a bottle of red wine. Three hours later we enjoyed a roast of note!

Thursday morning we left Lake Mason and arrived back in Perth in the early evening.

Well, credit must go to Doc for arranging the trip. It's a pity we didn't get to where we were hoping, but it was a trip I'll always remember.

Next year... after the rains... !
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
snip...

The dump pipe had completely broken off from the back of the turbo.

That is exactly where the "Evil Trol" dropped it's poo chute both times it has happened to me as well.
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2014, 01:17:56 PM by the evil twin »

"3 Tits... Awesome"

WALTER EGO

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
So, there I was packing my bag, swimsuit (check), 4 pairs shorts (check), sunscreen (check).  After all we are going to the desert, I imagine, swathes of golden sand, bright sunlight, camels, Lawrence of Arabia - as it turns out only one of these items was true.  Stopping to ponder, I wonder what the other 'girls' will be taking?  What do you mean there's no other females on this trip?  Hmmmm, I wonder why???

UKKiwi packs the car Thursday morning, always best left alone with this job, as helpful hints such as 'is my electric blanket packed' and 'wouldn't that fit better over there' are not usually received with gratitude.  Likewise, driving along, the following day, after sadly seeing SuperJac's vehicle, screaming 'look out' every time we vere anywhere near(within 3 feet) of the side of the road.  After leaving Kal, my phone (Optus) refused to work, whilst UKKiwi (Telstra) made annoying noises about who had just texted him or what was happening on facebook.  Day 2 was another long day of driving interspersed with pit stops, but the drive into the night was fabulous as the sun went down and provided an array of beautiful colours before the moon came up and worked from a different palette.  Although we all arrived late Doc's friends place, Tjukayirla, Serena and Al were ready to greet us with a wonderful feast around our first of, soon to be, log fires to keep warm.

After a big breakfast, which for Doc's sake we shall call 'cereal and yoghurt', we took off on our first day into the desert.  All went well and Doc spied a great place to stop for the night.  Camp set up, fire roaring, and front row seat for sunset show.  Off to bed and all was well until around 2am when I think I hear wild dogs by the camp site.  I feel the necessity to wake UKKiwi to share my concerns - he doesn't.  Then I realise that Howezit, in a swag would be much more of interest to the dogs as he was already cocooned and this outfit has a rope attached, so all they have to do is grab one end and drag him off.  Feeling more at ease further down the food chain, I drop back off to sleep. 

All night we hear pit pat of the rain on the tent roof and sadly as we get up, there is more pit-patting going on.  I take a fleeting glance at the shorts in my bag, no, better put something warm on again.  As it turns out I wear the same (and only) pair of trousers and fleece top and fleece jacket for the next 7 days.  We are greeted with Doc's cheerful face as he eats his cereal ( ;) saying 'this rain is great, not many people get to experience the rain in the desert' - hmmmm .... I wasn't too convinced about this marketing job.  So, off we go for a very exciting drive.  I am holding the overhead strap to give you an idea of the excitement level.  This is topped off with Howezit stopping at one point with us roaring up behind.  He is blissfully aware of the precise side ways stopping action of UKKiwi's vehicle behind.  UKKiwi assures me that he stopped exactly where he had planned - again, hmmmmm ...

So after all this excitement, as you know by now, we abandon the planned route and head for Carnegie Station for a couple of nights respite and patch the vehicles up again.  Doc, became creative in the campfire kitchen with damper that took the lid of the pot, it was so huge.  The first attempt turned out a bit black as after he had left it to cook 'slowly' in the ashes, UKKiwi came along and stoked up the fire.  When said cook came back, his damper was 'toasty warm'.  I think they call that 'team work'  ::)  The muster should have been in full swing at Carnegie but they too were having trouble with the weather.  There were a few vehicles returning from the outback and coughing their last as they arrive in the yard.  This was an excellent opportunity for all 3 of our drivers to join in the 'leaning over the engine bay' and giving their 2-penny worth.  How many men can you get around one engine bay??  It'd be worth an entry in the guiness book of records.
The muster cook was on hand to make us chocy chip muffins - well they were for the musterers but in their absence as most of them were at the next station along the road, we did our best to finish them off, yum.
Doc didn't have any though and cheerfully ate his evening salad, looking forward to morning cereal. :)

All freshly hot showered, fed, vehicles ready to go, photo in front of Carnegie sign, it was off for two more stops before heading home.  Dora the Explora (UKKiwi) did a side trip leadership on one day, taking us 'somewhere near the track on his 7 inches' and ending up on top of a shale type hill and sliding back down again. (photos coming!)

I would like to thank Doc for planning the trip and then being ready to 're-plan' when necessary and looking after us so well.  Thanks to Howezit for being great company & first in the food chain. Thanks to UKKiwi for only requiring me to grab the overhead grip on about 5 occasions and not taking up my boss' advice to stop at the first servo and get me some 'gob stoppers'.  It was frickin cold but great fun all the same!

« Last Edit: 18 July, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by WALTER EGO »

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
ROFLMAO...  Onya Wally... a trip report worthy of inclusion in our hall of fame.  ;D ;D ;D

snip...

After all we going to the desert, I imagine, swathes of golden sand, bright sunlight, camels, Lawrence of Arabia - as it turns out only one of these items was true. 

snip...
It was frickin cold but great fun all the same!

Let me guess... swathes of Camels, Camels in sunlight, Camels and Camels just like Lawerence rode?

I have yet to figure how the Camels don't get frost bite and die out there.

When the manuf was inspecting my camper after getting back from the Centre they asked
"Whats this icky stuff stuck to the metal?"
I replied
"Human skin, at the current rate of global warming it should thaw and fall off on it's own around 2065"

"3 Tits... Awesome"

WALTER EGO

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
DOC - THE COOK!

YEP, IT WAS COOOOLD!

DORA THE EXPLORER (UKKiwi) DOESNT WORRY WHAT'S IN HIS WAY ....

SIDE TRIP TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH!  EMPRESS SPRINGS

MOONLIGHT (APPARENTLY!) ON THE GREAT CENTRAL ROAD

PICKING UP ONE's DEBRIS FROM THE TRACK IS SO IMPORTANT - DOC's LIGHT BAR - 0 / TREE - 1

LAKE MASON

« Last Edit: 19 July, 2014, 10:47:06 AM by WALTER EGO »

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
  • PM For Air conditioning repairs and regassing
  • WPC Member Since: 03/07/2017
    YearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 003
« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »

PICKING UP ONE's DEBRY FROM THE TRACK IS SO IMPORTANT - DOC's LIGHT BAR - 0 / TREE - 1

Bet Doc hates me now....

UKKIWI

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

PICKING UP ONE's DEBRY FROM THE TRACK IS SO IMPORTANT - DOC's LIGHT BAR - 0 / TREE - 1

Bet Doc hates me now....

Why? Did you put the tree over the road in front of him?

Offline l300

• Unfinancial Member
  • PM For Air conditioning repairs and regassing
  • WPC Member Since: 03/07/2017
    YearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 003
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Nah, I kept bloating about how strong the brackets were I made that hold the awning to the rack..... Bet he wishes he used the cheap Chinese fake stainless ones now, might still have a roof rack... >:D

Thank F&^% the Roof top wasn't still on the racks  :o

Stropp

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2014, 09:03:42 PM »
Kalgoorlie at about 6.30.

I passed you just out of kal heading west, tried calling you on cb but no luck!

Offline The Evil Twin

• Life Member
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
snip..
Thank F&^% the Roof top wasn't still on the racks  :o

... Doc probably thought the same thing when he hit the Roo

"3 Tits... Awesome"

UKKIWI

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

Probably didn't have the radio on. Sorry.

We'll recognise you next time. :-}

Offline Superjac

• WPC Forum Member
  • WPC Member Since: 14/08/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 130
« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
This report has been sitting on my machine for over a week. Photos to follow
It all started on a cold Thursday morning, picked my mate Ken up, and headed for the RV with Howezit at the bottom of Green mount hill.
Every one was on time for the start. We headed off at 0405
The roads were relatively quiet and we had a good run, the sun came up just as we hit Yellowdine and stopping for a Nature and coffee break in Southern Cross. Had a Blockey chat about fuel consumption, kicked the tyres and carried on.
Kalgoorlie, Fuel up and have a look at the Super Pit and stop off at the old 2 up ring on the way out.
70 km later the fan of fate was hit by a huge amount of excreta.
I lost concentration on the road while trying to retrieve a jammed water bottle from the door pocket. Veered across to the opposite side of the road, went onto the dirt, Trying to get back on the bitumen at around 80 or 90 ks was a bit harder than my driving skills could handle. The end result was going down the road on the roof and stoping with the patrol on its side drivers side up
Between the two of us Ken and I managed to get out of the wagon via the drivers door.
Luckily for us Howezit was behind us to help, as well as the passing cars and trucks that stoped to give assistance
Then it was the job of picking all the gear along the road. The Police taking statements and such, then getting trucked ignominiously back to Kalgoorlie
That night we stayed in a caravan park. Got cleaned up and the three of us had a few beers and a feed of takeaway Chinese.
Day 2
Next morning Jill and Chris (UKKiwi) rocked up and shortly after that Doc and Iffy, who had borrowed a trailer (thanks Rob) and driven out from home to pick up Ken and myself and his gear that Iíd borrowed.
We all went to see the damage and see what we could salvage from the wagon. It didnít take long and Howezit, Doc, Jill and Chris left to continue on their trip.
Having got out everything we could, we loaded the trailer and headed for home.
Iíd like to thank everyone who gave there time, gear, and offers of storage.
Thanks Guys and Girls.
Lets hope the rest of the trip goes well for the desert travellers. Looking forward to seeing their trip reports.
Oops. Well you at least got to see a bit of the desert, playing in the mud looked like fun.
Iím glad every one got back safe if not wholly sound.   

Stropp

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »

Probably didn't have the radio on. Sorry.

We'll recognise you next time. :-}

No dramas mate I didn't see you till last minute when I saw the wp sticker on the windscreen :)

Offline Superjac

• WPC Forum Member
  • WPC Member Since: 14/08/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 130
« Reply #18 on: 22 July, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Some photos of my patrol...

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • Go you White Weapon!!