15 August, 2020, 01:23:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Upper Blackwood Tour  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
Upper Blackwood Tour
« on: 08 September, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
Well.. kudos to Kim.
His long association with the Blackwood River through river racing was reflected in his intimate knowledge of the area covered in this trip.

The trip commenced at Roelands and wandered through some awesomely scenic territory as we followed the course of the Blackwood River, ending up at Towerrinning Lake.

Right now, during a period of severe weather all over the South West, it's hard to believe that in many ways the weather played right into our hands.

Saturday saw rain and mist for the entire day. Mix that with some lush green farmlands, farm animals scattered all over the countryside, and some beautiful rambling and rolling roads.. Well, the recipe was all in place for a very relaxing and beautiful drive.
And there was a just enough bitumen to get from gravel road to gravel road. Kim certainly chose a great route for the trip.

As we set up camp late on Saturday afternoon the rain stopped, and the stars came out, leaving us with a clear starry night.
Now add to that mix the fact that we were camped right alongside the Blackwood river.. and not just anywhere along the river.. we were indeed at a point where the river was wide.. (too wide to throw a stone across).. and full of rapids.
The sounds of those rapids flowing all night were great.. you had to sleep through it to really appreciate it..

But before sleeping there was the issue of the fire pit. From what I can gather there were a few folks responsible for getting it started and maintained.. only to have the coals pilfered for Kim's BBQ..  Aahh well...

Sunday started off with some dodgy weather again. Some of the gear got stashed away before the rain arrived, some didn't.. poor Kim was loading wet gazebos into his Patrol. Talking of those gazebos.. it was amazing.. When we arrived at the camp site on Saturday 4 of these things found their way out of Kim's wagon. Talk about being prepared...

Anyway.. the trip continued on to a very windy Towerrinning, at which point a few of us left to beat hasty retreat home for the last few hours of Father's day.. the rest (I believe) not too far behind.

Thanks Kim for a well planned trip through some of the most beautiful area of our south west.
I, for one, an looking forward to the next one.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • Go you White Weapon!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 027
Re: Upper Blackwood Tour
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
Yes I agree, well done Kim. Great countryside and a few good camp spots.

Highlights for me.
  • Overflow at Wellington Dam (Rare Occurrence)
  • Learning that fires can reach Critical Mass
  • The cooked breakfast on Father's Day (even though I was the one cooking it)
  • The symphony of snorers
  • Kim's mate going crook at all the snoring
  • Prado driving Pajero wners
  • Almost dying when using the drop toilet
  • Wearing out the gearbox in a Jeep
  • Time away and laughs with my boy
  • Laughing at the somewhat disappointing puny King Jarrah Tree

After lots of dramas I did manage to get some photos into Dropbox. There are still some more to come which I did load but then they disappeared for some weird reason. Should be right now.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n5szxc283z9t5a9/AAAOgfT2GcO22QmGzjO62jUQa?dl=0
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2014, 07:35:35 PM by RustyNails »

Al

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »
great trip Kim very well run and we all got hats :)

Stropp

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
yes had a great trip and Kim showed us some great camping spots along the way so will be back there for sure, Kim did an exceptional job especially as he had just had his eye op, it was very informative and enjoyable i must say, im also having trouble with pics at the moment due to this bloody windows 8 crap.

bloomy

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2014, 07:32:17 AM »
Thanks for a great weekend fellow snoorers Sue and I had a lovely relaxing weekend
seeing some sights of our south-west while learning some interesting facts as well
It is a great part of the world .   

TheFlyingBadger

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »
Sounded like a good trip out, it's a pity I had to bail :(

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines