29 September, 2020, 12:45:08 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Lazy Manjimup Weekend  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Ozmerican

• Membership Officer
  • Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 20/08/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 127
Lazy Manjimup Weekend
« on: 01 October, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
I guess I can get this started.

I didn’t arrive until the Saturday morning since the week didn’t lend itself to being fully packed to get there on the Friday. So I got on the road about 0500 on Saturday morning for the drive down. Prior to leaving the weather report indicated that there were supposed to 1-2 showers over the each day of the weekend but on the drive down it started to rain so hard that I ended up pulling over to the side of the road. This heavy (not showers) rain occurred several times during the drive down to the point that I actually considered turning around. I'm glad I didn’t!

Rain Fall - continuous

Arrived around 0900 at the camp to find everyone pretty much already up and moving around. After a quick setup and little help from other my camp was all good by 1000.

(Just a note here: It hasn’t stopped raining yet! – just enough at this point to make you completely wet)

Setup for the black tie dinner with my contribution to be a nice Lamb Stew cooked in the dreampot. Now I personally think I haven’t cheated at this point for the “No Gas” dinner for Saturday night. Since the Lamb stew was actually cooked in the dream pot, but I did at least prep the stew and brown the meat with gas. But this might just be a technicality.

Dinner that night was absolutely amazing. I haven’t seen so much food in a long time. Pretty much everyone had to be rolled back to their camp that night and there was still a ton left over. Everything was cooked and the great fire that had been meticulously maintained by Ian. I have to say the curry that Doc made was excellent!

Rain Fall – still going…oooooops wait it stopped!…..wait just kidding…still going

Sunday:

Sunday was exactly what a lazy weekend is supposed to be. A few headed out and a few stayed behind to enjoy the wonderful weather (Rain Fall – still going)

After everyone was back at camp and it came time for dinner again. With food still left over (even curry) everyone again pitched in and we had another pot luck dinner for all.

Rain Fall – finally stopped for a short period.

Monday:

Rain Fall – Still going

Even with the rain it was a great weekend with other clubbies. Lots of laughs (especially at Jill) and a slow pack up was all that was left. I believe everyone was all packed up and ready for the road around 1000.

Rain Fall – Still going

The Drive Home:

Rain Fall – None!!!! The sun is out and the temp is warm.   >:(

Great trip! Thanks to Thomas for setting it up. The park is a top spot and I will be going back there again! The few photos I took to follow

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
Re: Lazy Manjimup Weekend
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Yep.. On Saturday morning I was thinking of you guys while sitting in my lounge..
Probably with a bit more mirth concern than jealousy, I might add..   >:D >:D
« Last Edit: 01 October, 2014, 02:41:50 PM by Howezit »
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Ozmerican

• Membership Officer
  • WPC Member Since: 20/08/2012
  • WPC Member #: 127
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
I do think this wonderful shirt is worthy of sharing.....good job John!

Near by campers were asking him to put his jacket back on!!  :o

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
That's what happens when you spend too much time at arty festivals in Bridgetown...
Once the smoke clears and you look at yourself in the mirror you find you're wearing that kind of souvenir  >:D
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

UKKIWI

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
Sat Night

We went for a short drive Sat to the . . .

On Sunday we drove to Pemberton to collect a mad MAMIL!

Offline Superjac

• WPC Forum Member
  • WPC Member Since: 14/08/2012
  • WPC Member #: 130
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »
What do you mean souvenir? I got this off the guy that sold Craig his camp pants

Offline 40HRSSUX

• WPC Member Since: 18/09/2019
    Years
« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
Thank you to all that made the trip. We were spoilt again by Gary the owner.
Did someone say it rained!!!!!!!!
John and Leslie, Iffy and Jamie and us headed out to Yeagerup for a look Sunday.
The big dune at the start is alot easier now as you drive straight up insted of the zig-zag off to the left. Once up we stopped on top for a quick look and got sand blasted...
Down the big dune to the beach and the sea was so rough and the colour of mustard
Iffy got his new petrol powered remote control car out for a run on the hard beach sand, a quick bite for lunch and then the fun started .  It was so soft getting of the beach as it was hard from the rain but there was so much wind blown sand .
Eventually we got off the beach and then up the big dune and out and another stop on top of the main dune at the start as we aired up Iffy gave the petrol car another run.
Arrived back at camp as another massive down poor of rain...

Thanks to everyone for the "formal no gas dinner" on saturday night

Offline 40HRSSUX

Years
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »

Offline 40HRSSUX

Years
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »

Offline 40HRSSUX

Years
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »

Offline 40HRSSUX

Years
« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »

Offline Superjac

• WPC Forum Member
  • WPC Member Since: 14/08/2012
  • WPC Member #: 130
« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
.Manjimup long weekend was memorable for several reasons. One being the frequent inclement weather but I believe has been mentioned before.
The company, sizzerling repartee, and the food prepared on an open fire more than offset the weather.
We arrived early arvo on the Friday and set up the camper, arranging the dozen or so extra items that seemed to have found there way aboard.
Thomas and Iffy had the fire pit sorted out in quick order and the campfire under way.

As other campers turned up the different styles of set ups could be seen, from the gazebo and swag combination, roof top tents, various makes of camper van, to large caravans with toilets and a satellite TV.

Saturday a bit of a slow start, a trip over to woollies then back to the park to see the grand final on the sat TV.  No signal so the radio went on while prepping food for the black tie dinner.
Doc kicked off the proceedings by bringing out a large plate of nibbles and 3 gallon of curry to set up on the fire. After that it was a procession of food being set up around and over the fire for the dinner.
Needless to say there was more than enough food to cater for all tastes. Mini Chorizos, savoury cob loaf, curry, lamb stew, chicken and potatoes bake, flat bread, cake and ice cream and fruit and marshmallow kebabs.

Sunday went with Thomas and Iffy to yaegurup a good day out apart from the bad choice of tyre pressures on the way out.
That night another communal cook up around the fire, the last gallon of curry, and Craig’s marinaded pork a highlight.

Monday saw most people breaking camp and getting on the road home, we waved a teary good by and bon voyage, then we went back to our bacon and egg sarnies to decide what to do for the rest of the day
The tree top walk at Walpole was decided upon. The weather stayed good all day until
We got back into Manjimup where we copped the end of another heavy shower.
Undeterred the fire was cranked up and our last meal for the weekend was cooked.
That night we went to sleep to the sound of light rain on canvas.
Next morning, a quickish pack up then, on the road. Stoped off at Bunbury farmers market.
Arrived home to a sunny and breezy afternoon, ideal for airing out the van and drying out the canvas.
Thanks Thomas for organising the caravan park and thanks to everyone there for making it a great weekend.   

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines