09 December, 2019, 10:34:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Kim's Avon Ascent  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Information & Communications - Sub Committee
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 107
Kim's Avon Ascent
« on: 17 August, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
So how did this trip go?

Who got the trip report?

Where's the "legendary" pictures?
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

Stropp

Re: Kim's Avon Ascent
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
yes im looking forward to them, it was a cracker weekend weather wise so it would have been a great trip.

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »
I'm sure Kim will post a link to a trip report with pictures, etc..
But in the meantime..

Yep, the weather was absolutely awesome!
The clear skies just brought all the greens (of the wheat), reds (of the road) and yellows (of the canola) up so bright.
And the recent rains put enough water into the Avon river that there was a decent flow all the way back to the river's source at Yealering Lake.

The night we spent at Yenyenning Lake was stunning. The lake was like glass, and the smoke from the campfire rose straight into the sky.. no annoying smoke in your eyes :)
Normally I'm a 9:30-10:00 in bed guy, but myself and Dman were up chatting till after midnight.. very unlike me, but a testament to the environment.

And waking up to the water a few feet from the swag, with the sun rising up over it, was a perfect start to the day.

Any trip with Kim is incomplete without his constant flow of information over the radio, and at pit stops.
I'll be buggered if I can remember even half of it.. and I have no idea where he stores all this info!

I will say one thing...
Anyone who wants to tour a bit of our state on the back roads, and get fed mountains of info in the process, should get on some of these trips that Kim puts together.
My experience indicates that you have a fair chance of getting into some scrub.. but for the die hard 4WDers there is not much actual 4WDing.
This is more "touring" that "4WDing".

And the quality of preparation (and reconnoitering)  that Kim puts into these tours puts them on a par with any of these expensive tagalong tours that are available out there.
And, for us, they're free! :)

Anyway.. the "legend" comment..

Well, if you go to Northam, and stand in front of the tower that the Avon Descent race is started from, there are 8 (I think) nice shiny metal plaques embedded in the paving at the base of  the tower.
And these plaques are for "Legends of the Avon".
Kim is one of them!

So, during the rest of the trip we were referring to "the legendary" Kim Epton.

Anyway.. a lot of driving (as usual with any of Kim's trips).. and a lot seen :)
« Last Edit: 19 August, 2015, 02:43:58 PM by Howezit »
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Tim Howe

• Vice President
  • Committee Member
  • Tim Howe
  • WPC Member Since: 08/05/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 153
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
I don't think there is much I can add to Graham's comments, it was a fantastic weekend away - it made our weekend feel very long, full and relaxing even though we only spent 1.5 days out of Perth.

I hope Kim doesn't mind me posting this, I found this on the Avon website, and it explains one of the reasons why he is such a legend.
http://www.avondescent.com.au/?page_id=462

I can definitely say, after only my second trip out (after the Dwelly cook-up) - that people like Kim, Graham and Dermot are what make it so appealing to join a community like WPC.

I also will try and post a few pics tonight to share.

Offline Dman

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member Since: 17/03/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
What was said above!! Awesome weekend "touring"!! But still managed abit of vehicle damage!! No idea how but a small branch managed to wedge itself between my sill & side step! Putting an impressive dent considering it was only a stick!! But anyway hope this helps the explanation of "LEGEND"
& Thanks again to Kim, Graham, Tim & Sarah!

LaughingBeagles

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Wow.., I emailed Kin saying I am down in Albany with work so had to pull out.  Sounds just brilliant.

kimepton

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Well, that's all a bit embarrassing.

Anyway, the photo essay of the Tour is at http://www.adventures.net.au/vehicle/avon-ascent

Offline Tim Howe

• Vice President
  • Committee Member
  • Tim Howe
  • WPC Member Since: 08/05/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 153
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Anyway, the photo essay of the Tour is at http://www.adventures.net.au/vehicle/avon-ascent

Wow Kim, great write up - its awesome to look back with such a detailed review. I've even shared it around at work haha

clunk71

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
Great write up indeed Kim, looks stunning

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines