14 December, 2019, 08:56:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Rocks & Ruts Round 2  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Information & Communications - Sub Committee
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member Since: 23/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • OFFTRAX WA
  • WPC Member #: 107
Rocks & Ruts Round 2
« on: 18 October, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Great weekend, thankyou to everyone who came along and helped out with the event and the BBQ trailer.

The trip report was won by Macka (I'll leave it to him to elaborate on the how)

There also needs to be a supplementary report by the only club member to require assistance after he became stuck.
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...

TheFlyingBadger

Re: Rocks & Ruts Round 2
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »
I heard that he just required a spotter.

Macka

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
Im in the middle of typing and uploading photos as we speak

Macka

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Due to the fact i cant reverse a trailer, i have the trip report. Also, getting my wife to back the trailer may have helped get me the report  :P Stupid camper trailer.... but i did learn that if I'm going to get the wife to back my trailer.... make sure nobody is looking  ;D

Friday

Friday, all who attended, headed North to Rocks & Ruts Round 2 which was held at Arcadia Farm near Jurien Bay. It was my first trip up, so I was lost 90% of the weekend.
Friday afternoon was set up camp, have a drink or two and with a total fire ban on the farm it was a cold and early night for most.

Saturday
Saturday saw the breakfast crew brave a bloody cold morning to cook bacon and egg rolls. I believe it was a 5 or 5.30am start through until 8am ish.

Then it was a convoy time. We all left the farm and headed towards another property for stage one. Marshalls were spread across the top of a rocky ridge and on a few hill climbs. Out the back we had a fair amount of breakages and issues.
A Landrover smashing a rock so hard his front diff twisted up snapping front drive shaft, a Patrol snapping an engine mount which caused a small electrical melt down and i believe a stripped upper control arm on a buggy/crawler. By this stage it was nearing lunch and the lunch crew headed for camp to fire up the BBQ trailer and put on a hot dog lunch.

After lunch saw stage 2 held at the Step Up's. At first glance you wouldn't expect any vehicle to get up them, but I was soon proved very wrong. The track started with a mad dash to the first corner then a small trip through what looked like a very boggy swamp, then they heading up via a zigzag track to the step ups.

Mid-Saturday afternoon was stage 3. This started over in an area between a couple of dams, wound it's way through a grove of trees, down a drop off into a lovely wet hole, then up a 90 degree bank which required winches, some brute force and a bit of thinking. The drivers then wound their way up, down and around some fairly decent rocks, back up the hill and down toward some fast sprint sections. Somewhere in here one vehicle came off it's wheels and required assistance to right itself.

Saturday night saw a night stage, it was dark, i was tired, i watched one car do its lap and left.

Sunday

Sunday started at a charming 5am to man the BBQ trailer again. Again, it was 6-8ish selling Bacon n egg rolls, but this time Mr Badger wanted to give people his sausage... well a sausage... so we had bacon egg and a little sausage rolls.
After breaky it was a mad dash to pack up the camper as it looked like rain, then off to the days only stage to get to our points.
At this stage i do belive Badger did was badgers do and dug some holes on the hill climb section & may have needed a little recovery, well at least i think it was badger so i will blame him anyway

The race included boggy swamps, the hill climb, the rocks and tire pit. All in all, it was a good morning with limited issues just some very stuck machines on the rocks.

Around 12.30ish we were done, packed up and most of us headed our different ways.

It was a good trip, will do it again. I may not bring a trailer  ;D

Macka

Photo's and some moving photos if they work

Video's below, i think if you click the photo photobucket should open to play them

Offline Knoxy

• Unfinancial Member
  • WPC Member Since: 28/08/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 135
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Very good report rookie 👍 as said above was a great weekend and also a great show by members
It's 12 o'clock somewhere 🍻 👍

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
    • OFFTRAX WA
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
I heard that he just required a spotter.

I heard there was also some heavy lifting required.
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
A work in progress...

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
    • OFFTRAX WA
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
That's an awesome trip report, you can get your husband to reverse the camper anytime.  :P

Kidding aside, I'd like to thank everyone for helping out. it was a great weekend, great company and correct me if I'm wrong Howezit but I think we made approximately $450 to be donated to Beyond Blue

Cheers
Craig
05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
A work in progress...

Offline Budds

• Financial Member 2019 - 2020
  • WPC Member Since: 13/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 100
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »

There also needs to be a supplementary report by the only club member to require assistance after he became stuck.

Can someone enlighten the membership on whom got stuck? Was it a rookie error or someone being silly.
Lest We Forget

R U OK

Offline Howezit

• WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
Can someone enlighten the membership on whom got stuck? Was it a rookie error or someone being silly.
Well there was a pretty steep and rocky chicken track up to the top of a hill (lockers suggested).
The only other alternative was the actual race track... Well, not so much a race track as a rocky climb challenge...
I took the chicken track and didn't get stuck.
But I wasn't alone.
Just sayin'...  :P
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
    • OFFTRAX WA
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Well there was a pretty steep and rocky chicken track up to the top of a hill (lockers suggested).
The only other alternative was the actual race track... Well, not so much a race track as a rocky climb challenge...
I took the chicken track and didn't get stuck.
But I wasn't alone.

From back at the start line, several of us heard the cries for help to Howezit come over the UHF.......

Much merriment was had by us all at the stuck person's expense.......    ;D

05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
A work in progress...

Offline Dman

• Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member Since: 17/03/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
Great trip report! & I also had a great weekend! I am however now a little gutted I didn't get a video of the pile up at the creek crossing! However I was busy trying to prevent the "said" pile up!
Cheers everyone who came & made it what it was! Especially the entertaining journey home!

Offline Knoxy

• Unfinancial Member
  • WPC Member Since: 28/08/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 135
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
The said person who will remain annonimous did have a accent and not a irish, american or south african so u should be able too work it out
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2015, 03:06:15 PM by Ropes »
It's 12 o'clock somewhere 🍻 👍

Offline 40HRSSUX

• Associate Member
  • WPC Member Since: 18/09/2019
« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
Someone helped who was limping a bit with a sore knee and said Shut Bro your stuck on a bug rock or 2 ......just saying

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines