01 October, 2020, 07:32:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Canning Stock Route  (Read 8816 times)

Offline Howezit

• Financial Member 2020 - 2021
  • WPC Member Since: 20/11/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 119
Canning Stock Route
« on: 27 July, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
So.. did you hear the one about the South African, the Irishman and the Australian WPC guys who went to the desert?

Well.. jokes aside..

The South African: Graham (Howezit)
The Irishman: Dermot (Dman)
The Australian: Adrian (Doc Evil), accompanied by his partner Zinta (so, I suppose, we can say we had a Latvian as well)

I won't bore you with the day by day detail of what wells we saw each day..what kms we did each day.. how long we drove each day.. I'll just tell you how it all played out.

First up.. I'm wondering why I'm doing the trip report.
I was [ultimately] the trip leader.
I was the first at the meeting point.
My truck had the least number of issues.
I should be the last to be doing the trip report.
But anyway.. I digress.....

We met at 7am at Bindoon Bakery on Tuesday 2nd July.
And, now that I think of it.. I was the first to experience a mishap. I put a hot cup of coffee on top of my spare wheel, and then forgot it was there and it landed up splashed down the side of my truck.
So.. the dirty work had begun.. my truck was already dirty and we hadn't left the carpark.

Talking of mishaps.. Adrian's woes started almost right away as well.
The lady at the bakery got his order wrong.
But.. for now.. all I'll say is that was to be the least of Adrian's dramas!

We stopped on that first evening at Lake Mason.. yes.. that Lake Mason.. the one we, as a club, pondered and debated over as an option to adopt it.
It was a fair hike.. about 600kms.. but by WA standards that's just around the corner.

Dermot quickly had a fire going.
And that's another thing.. that Irisman turned out to be a real firebug!
He quickly became the one who created and tended to the fire every day. He did eventually allow Zinta to help with the twigs.. but he was quickly ackowledged to be the resident authority in the art of getting a fire on the go.. and maintained.

Talking about twigs, Zinta became the scavenger of twigs and other lightweight fire material. And she proved to be an expert in that field!
At every stop at the end of the day Zinta quickly and expertly found all that was required to get the fire going.. and Dermot did the rest. A team of experts!
On a few occasions Dermot went off in his truck and returned looking like a forest on wheels.. roof rack laden with firewood.
And then I had a load of fun with my chainsaw!
So.. needless to say we had fires a-plenty!

The norm (if anything about the trip was normal) was for us to pull up somewhere mid-afternoon and get a fire going right away.. and that kept going until the last of us retired to bed each night. And when coals were required for a camp oven meal, Dermot did his magic, and we had all the coals we needed.

Talking about "at night".. we had beautiful weather during the days with absolutely wonderfully clear nights.. so, so many stars.. as you'd expect. With the trip being so long we saw the moon move from just a slither to a full moon and beyond while we were out there... including a parial eclipse of the moon.

My hint above that the trip may not have been completely "normal" can be seen by a simple summary of where we went.
So.. after Lake Mason we spent a night at Gunbarrel Laager in Wiluna, before starting down the CSR on Thursday morning.
So far.. so good..
Without giving specifics, suffice it to say we wandered down past a few wells.. and when I say "wandered" I really mean "shook, rattled and rolled".. those corrugations!!!!!!!!!
But, even although the scenery in the desert is magnificent, just trundling along from well to well can be so boring.
And so we left the CSR just south of Durba Spring and well 17 and took the Puntawarri track in an westerly direction towards Newman.

Now that track is something else!
It was 203 km long. The first 100 km took us 5 hrs.. the second 100 km took us 3 hrs.. so 8 hrs for the 200 kms!
And a significant amount of bush pinstriping that only a good cut and polish will ever fix!
So.. on past Jigalong and into Newman... a total of 375 kms.

Why?.. I can hear you ask.
Well.. we'll come to that later!

And then we returned back to the CSR along the Talawana track.. another 550 kms.. to return to Georgia Bore. We backtracked a little to well 22 before continuing north again.
So, we missed wells 18 - 21. But what we missed there was more than made up for by the "Puntawarri" experience.

As a side note, I must say that the camping in Newman sucked!

And we then continued northwards until well 33.. or more specifically Kunawarritji.
At this point we found cause to venture east for 375 kms (that magic 375 kms again) along the Gary Junction Highway to eventually refuel at Kiwirrkurra.
So.. that was the reason we went east!.. Kunawarritji had, for the first time in 5 yrs, run out of diesel.
But that trip east, although unplanned, was also enjoyed for it's significance. Being another of Len Beadell's roads we were able to camp at Jupiter Well and at Gary Junction.
We also had the opportunity to see Len's burnt out ration truck just sitting out the in the open at Kiwirrkurra.
Although both Adrian and I knew the truck was there we both completely forgot to look for it. It was Zinta who casually said "Oh.. look!.. A burnt out truck!". Geez.. we would have been upset if we'd only remembered about it after we'd left.

And, after the 375 km return trip, we continued north. Well.. after well...

And, to be brief and leave out the details, we'll just say that when we eventually landed up on the Tanami Rd heading towards Halls Creek, the call was made to RACQ and Adrian's truck eventually arrived in Halls Creek on the tray of a flat bed.
Did I say that the trip wasn't "normal"?

Something else worth mentioning is that the desert is not "just a desert". It is beautiful!
The scenery changed significantly from day to day.. and sometimes within a single day we had vastly different terrain.

Hills became items of note. At every possibility I climbed whatever hill was available to be climbed. Although I enjoyed scaling these sometimes difficult-to-scale obstacles, I'm sure the others were a bit "over it" after the first few. Zinta gave me the title of "MG" (Mountain Goat). To be fair on me tho', it must be said that I didn't put the hills there.. I just reacted to the fact that someone else (or something else) put it there.

Talking about how different the terrain can be.. what about different accents?
Well.. our radio calls were a combination of Australian, South African and Irish accents.

And.. talking about that..
After one of Dermot's radio calls there was a response from what sounded like a young lady who happenned to be within radio range.
And her response was..
"Hello.. I have no idea what you said.. but your accent is so sexy!.. and the answer is "Yes!".. "
I may not be quoting her words exactly.. but that was effectively what I understood her response to equate to. I may have read more into it than was intended.. but hey!..

A significant feature of the entire trip can be abbreviated to AAAA.
Adrian's Australian Automobile Adventures.

The trip may [possibly] have been somewhat "normal" if Adrian's truck just played fair!

To highlight my reasoning for saying that the AAAA effect was significant let me just say...
Damage to my truck was two 2-plug punctures and a cracked weld in my sub-tank.
Dermot's damage to his truck was one 2-plug puncture, a cracked bracket on his sub-tank, a crack in the rear barn door and a melted shockie bush.
Damage to Adrian's truck was 2 broken upper control arms, one punctured airbag, 2 upper control arm brackets sheared off the chassis, so many punctures we literally lost count (one in particular was about a 20-plugger), both spare wheels used up, one shockie bush worn away, the other shockie spewing oil.
I guess it's fair to say that, at times, Adrian was a little unhappy with proceedings!
And that also explains the need for the little detour to Newman.

The upside to the AAAA effect was that Dermot and I were constantly under Adrian's truck.
And our reward was the provision of some wonderful meals by both Adrian and Zinta.
Adrian's 2 roasts in his camp oven were memorable... marinaded in red wine.. veggies.. hmmm...
As were Zinta's various offerings.. her Nacho nights were noteworthy!.. her breakfast in a bun was a novelty that I'll be experimenting with in the future. She dished up so many simple but effective meals it was obvious that she is a natural in the area of food preperation.

And let's not forget Dermot's savoury damper with cheeses (plural) and fried chorizo. So good!

The trip sort of ended in Halls Creek where Dermot and I left Adrian to fix his truck before he headed east to Kununurra and beyond, while we headed back home.
Dermot and I covered around 200 km on Monday afternoon after leaving Halls Creek, around 1,100 km on Tuesday and around 1,600 km on Wednesday to officially end the trip as we sailed past Bindoon Bakery at 10.10 pm on Wednesday 24th July.

I could go on and on about just how enjoyable and frustrating the trip was.. how beautiful the desert is.. but I think you get the message.

And.. if you wanted a day by day expose of the wells we visited. etc.. sorry!
Although I have noted that detail somewhere else, I won't bore you with it here.

And now.. while I'm thinking about it... did you hear the one about the South African, the Kiwi and the Australian WPC guys who went to the desert?
Well...
http://westernpatrolclub.com/forum/2014-club-trip-reports/4-desert-trip/
« Last Edit: 28 July, 2019, 06:59:27 PM by Howezit »
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Grover

• Unfinancial Member
  • WPC Member Since: 23/08/2016
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 113
Re: Canning Stock Route
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »
I am sure many more stories to tell...a great report leaving the reader ready for more. I had hoped to have time for this trip, hindsight confirms the impossibility, there will be another opportunity I am sure!

Offline Doc Evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Life Member
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
Not that I'm being picky, but it was Jupiter well on the Gary junction rd. In "reflection", you even told us the story of how it was named. ;)

I'll add my report once settled back in Perth in a couple of weeks.

The grumpy AAAA  ;D
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Howezit

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
Not that I'm being picky, but it was Jupiter well on the Gary junction rd. In "reflection", you even told us the story of how it was named. ;)

I'll add my report once settled back in Perth in a couple of weeks.

The grumpy AAAA  ;D
Silly me ;).. Yep.. Jupiter well...
I've fixed that :)

Offline Fish

• Unfinancial Member
  • WPC Member Since: 23/08/2015
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
Sounds like I missed out on a great trip  >:(
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

Offline Twin Trolls

• Family Member (Co-Member)
  • Nube
  • WPC Member Since: 10/11/2018
    YearsYears
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2019, 02:55:22 AM »
Great read, thanks for sharing.
Jupiter Well is a great camping spot, spent a couple night stay there last year end of August with Newman SES. They do an annual trip out to the communities every year. We had a dessert storm go through there one afternoon causing quiet abit damage and putting dirt in places you"d think wasn"t possible..
Beautiful country out there.
Black Dog Rides

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »
I'm baaaackkkk..........
9052km and 6 weeks on the road done n dusted.
Will do a report soon (yes, I know I need to finish the cape york and painted silos in qld, nsw, vic n sa reports).

Thank you dusty (Daniel and Julie) for some amazing hospitality.
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
Part 1 and 2 of my trp report

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
Part 3.

Offline Howezit

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:15:54 PM »
Great reporting Doc :)

Offline Grover

• Unfinancial Member
  • WPC Member Since: 23/08/2016
    YearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 113
« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2019, 12:08:50 AM »
Excellent trip report. How did you all keep the obligatory WHITE Patrols so clean in each of the photos?

Offline Howezit

« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »
Excellent trip report. How did you all keep the obligatory WHITE Patrols so clean in each of the photos?
TrackCare have, as part of their refurbishment of some of the wells, been putting in solar operated car washes.
It's great :)

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
Haven't forgotten..........just work has got in the way......

Part 4

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
Part 5

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
part 6

Offline Howezit

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
Ahh the memories... :)
Corrugations aside.. an absolutely amazing trip! A "must do"!

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
part 7

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #17 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
part 8

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Part 9

Offline Doc Evil

• Life Member
    • West OZ Challenge
« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Part 10

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines