09 December, 2019, 10:46:55 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Western Patrol Club Inc.

Author Topic: Kalgoorlie Desert Race 2019  (Read 757 times)

Offline RustyNails

• Life Member
  • Go you White Weapon!!
  • WPC Member Since: 05/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • WPC Member #: 027
Kalgoorlie Desert Race 2019
« on: 30 October, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
While I am not the official Trip Reporter I thought I would start the ball rolling.

This was my first Kalgoorlie Desert Race trip after I was unable to get away for the trip last year and I am kicking myself for missing it. Thanks to Ropes (Snr and Jnr), Kinang, Dman, Zanks and my lovely wife Maree for a great weekend, great company and great camping.

Day 1-Thu
For us it started with an 8:30am getaway on Thursday with the Y62 and Jayco battling the crazies and roadworks up Greenmount Hill before a quick stop in Tammin and the push to Kalgoorlie to refuel then out to Lake Perkolilli to setup for the night. Along with 1000s of flies we relaxed around the fire, enjoyed Spaghetti Bolognese, a few beers and the stars before retiring for the night.

Day 2-Fri
With the early plan to meet the rest of the WPC crew at Goldfields Off-road at 10am Friday we had an early breaky and drove the 30+ mins back into Kalgoorlie. Once we were in mobile range we saw the message that the crew was now not due into Kal until 1pm so we headed to Goldfields Off-road to get our radio fitted before heading off to Boulder and back to met the team at GOR and headed out together to the Lake to setup and chat round the fire.
Here is where I found out that Dermot is the Fire King and a little more about our official duties for the weekend. There was scrutineering and the car/bike display in Kalgoorlie that afternoon, but we stayed at camp and discussed our duties for the weekend and solved the world’s problems 

Day 3-Sat
Our official duties did not start until 10am so we had a lazy morning and cooked brekky before heading out to reccy our checkpoints (CP5 to CP8).
Maree and I were at CP7 at the Lake where competitors did a 2.5km high speed loop of the Lake. First away was the cars about 10:45 and about 50 mins later Maree and I were busy recording 30+ car numbers and relaying these back to Race Control. Bikes were next away with lots of radio chatter about lost bikes and riders keeping us abreast of the racing. Kinang on Checkpoint 6 was kept busy as was Dermot on Checkpoint 8 but we had a good day. It was a dusty affair on the Lake so Maree and I were glad we had taken the camping shower so we could freshen up. The boys shared a roast pork with Ropes managing the meat, Dman the roast potatoes and Kinang “making” the all-important gravy. It was an early night for us ready for the early Sunday start.

Day 4-Sun
Check-in for the first race was 5am so it was an early rise and away to our checkpoints to setup for the first of four races (2 bikes and 2 cars). The wind was stronger on the Lake with lots of Willy Willys and we battled the dust all day. The Transponder trackers were working much better so the radio calls were less but the day had lots of dramas with injured riders, lost bikes and cars and lots of traffic management required, keeping all the officials and medical teams busy. While it was supposed to be over by mid afternoon the dramas pushed things later and it was late afternoon before we returned to Race Control to have our radios removed. This called for a quick visit to the pub on the way back to camp and another long shower for Maree and I to wash off the thick red dust before gathered round the fire again and enjoyed a well-earned BBQ.

Day 5-Mon
Kinang broke camp first in the morning and headed towards home followed by us and then Ropes, Zanks and Dman to follow.
We had an easy run home but ran into some strong winds and truck traffic but managed to avoid the peak hour rush home. Not looking forward to the cleanup but glad we made the trip.
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2019, 07:50:43 PM by RustyNails »

Offline Two Trolls

• Committee Member
  • Nube
  • WPC Member Since: 08/10/2019
Re: Kalgoorlie Desert Race 2019
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
Good write up, thanks for sharing.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: dioxide
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines