Western Patrol Club Inc.

The Great Aussie Camp Oven Cook Up - Dwellingup 2016

Offline Budds

• President
  • WPC Member #: 100
The Great Aussie Camp Oven Cook Up - Dwellingup 2016
« on: 07 August, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
Well Ladies and Gents,

This years Camp Oven Cook Up has come and gone. For those of you unable to attend you missed some gastronomically wonderful food on Saturday Night. But I get ahead of myself.

It all started on Friday morning with a mad flap to get packed and on the road, you see the noncamping gods had conspired against us. They through up barriers at every turn first it was work, then the flu, the a horse and a vet and a job interview. We were not to be deterred and bravely fought on. With the shopping done late on Thursday we awoke early to load the trailer with the aim of hitting the road about 1000. Budds, Ozmerican, daughter Pam, Quest and Mac finally got on the road about 1045 and made a leisurely drive down to Dwellingup.

On arrival we checked in and found out two of our number had already arrived being BigCol, wife Lorraine,daughter Catherine and fur baby and BillSTS and his lovely wife Lisa. Shortly after LongGU arrived and setup followed closely by DMan with Shorty and Rina rounding out our posse.

With Campsites set, camp fire burning we settled in for a chilly cloudless night. BigCol and BillSTS and family all headed into the Dwelly Pub for dinner. The remainder cooked up on the campfire, Pigs and Choofer. The night grew dark and the stories tall before one by one we headed to bed, chilled but relaxed to be camping.

Saturday started with campfires being lit and a nice piece of Brisket being prepped for smoking in Budds Choofer (first crack at this). The campsite was soon smelling of bacon and eggs, sausages and waffles as breakfast was prepared. The morning was spent lazing around and chatting over coffee before dinner preparations commenced in earnest. All the while we were keeping an eye on the weather gods and hoping that it would hold out.

With meals prepared and the club Gazebo set we declared Dinner read at 1800 and proceeded to form a conga line around the table to taste everyone's delights;
Budds & Ozmerican - Smoked Brisket (needs work) and Beef Stroganhoff finished with Apple Crumble and Custard for dessert,
LongGU & Bec - Chicken and Beef Slidders and some green beans (cant quite remember but was very nice)
Dman - Boneless Lamb Shank Casserole (Very nice)
Shorty & Rina - Chicken Massaman Curry and rice (Very nice)
BigCol & Lorraine - Sausage Casserole (Very nice)
BillSTS & Lisa - Scones, Damper and Potato Bake (Very nice) (Lisa was a first timer on a fire)

Just as we finished the heavens opened and we all ran for cover. We were not to be thwarted though as we doggedly refused to give up. Rina our own fire god ably assisted by her apprentice Dman kept the fires burning and we all came out as the deluge eased. This continued until a couple of sites needed to sort out some water and wind issues, some turned in others remained awake until 2300. Stumps were called at this time, due to bad light and rain.

Sunday saw us all emerge to cloudy skies and the hope that we could dry out before the pack up this was not the case. We packed slow time and rolled out of Dwelly about 1130 headed for home. BigCol and BillSTS were staying an extra night. We returned home at 1230 and unpacked before showering and relaxing.

This was a great weekend and I hope everyone who attended enjoyed it as much as me. Thank you to LongGU once again for conjuring this trip and we are already looking forward to next year.

Please post up your pics here and on facebook.

From Ozmerican

« Last Edit: 08 August, 2016, 09:05:59 AM by Budds »
Lest We Forget

R U OK

2shortgq

Re: The Great Aussie Camp Oven Cook Up - Dwellingup 2016
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
Great report Budds
Thanks to all that made the trip down for the weekend.
A bit of rain unfortunately...1 shower but it lasted all night ...
As stated above some fantastic food was consumed by all.

Next year maybe a different venue

Thanks again

Thomas

Offline Ozmerican

• Membership Officer
  • WPC Member #: 127
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
A few photos that I took.........

*Moved to post.
« Last Edit: 08 August, 2016, 08:06:01 AM by d0t-bat »

Offline Dman

• Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Great report Budds! I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend & will hopefully be back next year! Cheers to everyone who came, cooked & made the weekend what it was!!

Offline RobsGU

• WPC Member #: 050
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2016, 07:42:13 PM »
Looks like you all had a great weekend hopefully I can make it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7" member 10

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2016, 09:44:31 PM »
But you guys never learn.
Once Thomas goes up as a definite, we all know it's gonna rain!
But it looks like you had a good cook up anyway.
Great report, Budds :)
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline BigCol

• WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
to add to Budd's report.............................

we left the beautiful Swan Valley around the 9.00am time - lovely sunshine, not a cloud in the sky
the further south we went, the darker the day became......... hhhmmmmm

we arrived around the 12.00-ish mark, to find Bill STS & wife were already there, and again - we were not put with the WPC - Park Owner said nope no way, your a Van - in the Van area for you.. no if or buts or maybe's............
she also said many other things 1 being they had 3 other groups booked for the weekend, as well as people from a Local wedding staying, so the park was going to be full as a goog............(I think, including WPC there was only about 20 sites being used all weekend....) - but I digress

not long after we were setting up, along came Budd's & Ozmerican, so a quick escape from what I was supposed to be doing to say G'Day was in order
after we were fully setup and sorted, we wandered over to have a yarn with them, then Thomas turned up - with the funniest looking camper I had seen for awhile (a hire box trailer) not long after him was Dman (Raj, Doogal, Dermet, etall) and then Shorty & Rina

more fluffing around was in order as people were getting their goodies together and setting up
then some wood arrived, and it needed to be placed around the "fire pits" so it could dry out a little before being consumed
watching Raj/Doogal/Dermot/O'patrick/O'shannassey attack a piece of harmless wood, with a nice new-ish Axe was a thing to behold......
97 lusty blows, and a damaged axe & a damaged ego was the end result, so some Axe wielding techniques were shown and debated, all in all, lots of fun & giggles were had by most

so after much to-ing and fro-ing SWMBO (Lorraine), Katherine & myself & Bill & Lisa were heading to the Pub for a meal......... what could go wrong.........
what started as an interesting evening sitting by a fire having dinner went south very quickly
they forgot half our Entries, my steak was over cooked (still tasty, but not how I ordered it) Lorraine's Beef & Guinness Pie was without Guinness, Lisa's Dwelly Burger was a very dry meat patty with no flavour of its own, surrounded by fried Halloumi & Bacon, so some parts were edible, but it was not entirely eaten anyway, Bills Chilly Muscles were adequate - his words.......
ahhh well, back to camp to warn the others incase they were hungry
we sat around flapping our gums for awhile, then headed to bed
Saturday, once I had noticed "movement at the Station" I wandered over to greet the morning with our fellow campers, only to be told to take me and my horse and go- all because I had a cappuccino............ some people..............

anyway - that sorted, Bill & myself asked if there was any other intrepid explorers, as we were going to get some bush wood..........
no takers, as someone was doing their hair, another was watching a brisket and so on and so forth
so we headed off to the POW camp and had an explore, had a look at the old town site of Marrinup, and picked up 1/2 a doz large-ish pieces of wood so we could contribute to the wood pile - lucky I have a roof rack
anyway, we got back to camp, and I dumped the wood for all and sundry....... then headed back to our camp to get my trusty 18V Ryobi One Chainsaw and hack into the wood we had
my goodness - a complete surprise, but that thing was fan-freaking-tastic, only a 10' bar on it, but it went through a piece that was about 12' diameter, surprised everyone thats for sure
anyway, the stage was set for an afternoon of attempts for Lisa - never cooked on wood before, never cooked in a camp oven before & never made a cheesecake before
and we never got to try it as she was a lot annoyed as it didnt work out (and in her words - "Tasted like crap....")
Lorraine made some scones, which the first attempt were handed over to the crew & were all eaten, then we found a Trivet, and the 2nd batch were divine (and we had Jam & Cream with them)

I will gloss over the Cookup - as Budd's has already told that story
except the part where, after the meal, and it was precipitating, and we were contemplating our navels after our guts being fed, his camper attacked me - smacked me in the top of the head - lucky my head, other wise there may have been damage - the wind picked up the edge of his awning and threw it back, with the poles flying down, and nearly knocking some sense into me......nearly.............
Bill had a slight river running through his awning, so he had done some major earth works to make the water flow else where

the next morning, I again was told to take my Horse and myself and go - what is it with cappuccino's..........
but I hung around long enough to annoy them.......
after the crew had departed (Thomas & co first, then Budd's, Ozmerican, Dermot/Raj & shorty & Rina) Bill & Lisa & myself & crew headed to Boddington for a look see & lunch, not satisfied with that, we then headed to the Williams Woolshed for afternoon tea (Tea & Scones) get there only to find they had run out of Scones.........mongrels
so we headed back to Dwelly to get the fire roaring and set up for tea.
well, didnt it rain from then on, every time the wind picked up, it blew the warmth of the fire into our awning - no complaints there I can tell you
after tea & Mead & chocolates we called it a night around the 9.00-ish
rained ALL night
got up this morning and guess what - yeppers - I had a Cappuccino for breakkie - and not one person told me to sod off - so I was happy to enjoy it..............

we packed up, and headed home around the 11 mark, and got home (after stopping at the shops) around the 2-ish mark

all safe and sound

many many thanks to Long GU for organizing a great weekend
to Budds, Ozmerican & Pam, Shorty & Rina, Dman and Bill STS - thanks for the fun, we all enjoyed it

cheers

DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

Offline Bill STS

• WPC Member #: 147
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »
yes thanks everyone for a terrific ,if not very wet, weekend. Mrs Bill STS says after the cheesecake fiasco she MIGHT try camp cooking again. So thats a positive .
Great company and great fun!

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
  • WPC Member #: 119
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
Great report Col!
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Ropes

• B.O.F.H.
  • Mmm that feels better :P
  • WPC Member #: 107
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
It's great to hear and see that everyone had an awesome weekend, great reports Col and Mark/Craig.

For the record we joined in from afar and Tracey cooked her infamous camp oven  Red wine and beef stew and from all expert opinions (hers & mine) it was bloody awesome and the best one yet.

Not sure about the precipitation you mention though, it was a barmy 26 degrees at Lake Argyle all weekend.

Cheers
Craig and Tracey

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

05 GU IV TD42Ti ST
All the good stuff and more.
A work in progress...