Western Patrol Club Inc.

GCR Uluru West Macs and Beyond Aug 2018

Offline Fish

• Trips Co-Ordinator
GCR Uluru West Macs and Beyond Aug 2018
« on: 14 March, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
What: GCR Uluru West Macs and Beyond

Where: Olgas, Uluru, Kings Canyon, West MacDonnell Ranges, Alice Springs, Finke Gorge National Park, Oodnadatta, the Painted Desert.

When: Pretty much the whole of August 2018.

Who:Anyone really

Trip Leader: Howezit (Graham Howe)

Terrain:
1 - Relatively Easy (Beginners)
2 - Moderate to Easy
3 - Moderate
4 - Moderate to Serious
5 - Serious and Endurance

Rating out of 5 will be?: “Moderate to Easy” for the most part, with a possibility of some “Moderate to Serious” in places if there’s any water about.

Distance: Approximately 6,500kms

Description: A full month trip starting with the Great Central Road, via Menzies and Lake Ballard (to check out Anthony Gormley’s “Inside Australia” statues) and visiting the Giles Weather Station before going through Docker River into the NT to visit The Olgas and Uluru. Then it’s via the Lasseter Highway and Ernest Giles Road to visit Kings Canyon before moving on along Larapinta Drive and the Mereenie Loop to the West Macdonnell Ranges and on to Alice Springs before looping back a little to visit the Finke Gorge National Park. Then it’s down the Stuart Highway before doing a small detour along portion of  the Oodnadatta Track, through Oodnadatta and the Painted Desert. Then it’s off to Coober Pedy, Kingoonya, down past Lake Gairdner to Wirrula. Then the long trip home along the Eyre Highway, enjoying the Nullarbor.

If only there was more time........

Car Limit:No limit

Dog Friendly:No

Disclaimer: "WPC and Graham Howe (Howezit) accept no liability for any loss, damage or injury to persons or property arising from your dog attending this trip. While all due care will be taken, no responsibility will be granted. If you or your dog act inappropriately whilst on the trip, you will be asked to leave"

Meeting Point: We’ll worry about that closer to the time

Meeting time: We’ll worry about that closer to the time

Comms: Primary: UHF CH 20. Secondary: UHF CH 18. But we’ll decide on that closer to the time.

What To Bring: Everything you need for a remote, extended trip.

Please post here if you are coming along and PM with a mobile number. If we have your mob number we can check if you are running late and organise another meeting point. If you drop out late we can contact you and the rest of the crew can get moving instead of hanging around wondering.

Definites:
Howezit and Debbie (in camper trailer)

Maybes:

Newbies:

Guests:
« Last Edit: 09 July, 2018, 11:53:24 AM by Fish »
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
  • WPC Member #: 119
Re: GCR Uluru West Macs and Beyond Aug 2018
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
The trip route.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline the evil twin

• If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
You'll love it mate, pretty much the trip I did a coupla years back and wish I could come with ya.

Coupla suggestions.
Best Aboriginal Art (as in paintings for ya wall) I saw was at Warakurna (Giles) Roadhouse Gallery.
Prob 50% cheaper than anywhere else and some well known artists plus newbs, heaps to choose from.
Camping ground there was clean and quite nice as well.

I found Kings Creek Station quieter and more 'outback' to stay at than the Resort... but... the Resort is full on, with nightly band/entertainment and a couple of food outlets.
If you want to camp at the Resort get there early, gazillions of nomads descend on the place each arvo, fill the place up, do the walk next morning and bugger off.
After the 'suburbia' of Yulara I liked the Station much better

Painted Desert and Lollipop Lane was worth seeing IMHO. Best time is late/early lighting and you can stay at a Station just before the Desert if you want to do that as it can be late getting into Coober Pedy otherwise

Could fill pages with all the other things but 1/2 the fun is sorting it out yourself so will leave it at that

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »
Best Aboriginal Art (as in paintings for ya wall) I saw was at Warakurna (Giles) Roadhouse Gallery.
Prob 50% cheaper than anywhere else and some well known artists plus newbs, heaps to choose from.
Camping ground there was clean and quite nice as well.
Yep.. gotta budget for some purchases there :)

I found Kings Creek Station quieter and more 'outback' to stay at than the Resort... but... the Resort is full on, with nightly band/entertainment and a couple of food outlets.
If you want to camp at the Resort get there early, gazillions of nomads descend on the place each arvo, fill the place up, do the walk next morning and bugger off.
The current plan is Kings Creek Station.

After the 'suburbia' of Yulara I liked the Station much better
Currently the plan is to forfeit the metroplitan area of Yulara for this free camp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWE4gW5Eyi8&feature=youtu.be

Painted Desert and Lollipop Lane was worth seeing IMHO. Best time is late/early lighting and you can stay at a Station just before the Desert if you want to do that as it can be late getting into Coober Pedy otherwise
Plan is to stay a night at Arckaringa. Is that the one?

Could fill pages with all the other things but 1/2 the fun is sorting it out yourself so will leave it at that
Yep, the more you research the more you find you don't have (will never have) enough time....

Offline the evil twin

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Archaringa... yes

Uluru Free Camp (real name Uluru Sunrise)... actually isn't a camping area.
It's a Day Use Only area... of course there are 24 hours in a day ;-)
http://wikicamps.com.au/showsite.php?id=84062&l=-25221140&photo=2016/276/7551779778.jpg

"3 Tits... Awesome"

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
Uluru Free Camp (real name Uluru Sunrise)... actually isn't a camping area.
It's a Day Use Only area... of course there are 24 hours in a day ;-)
Yeah.. my alternative was to stay for free at Curtin Springs (84 km down the road) and travel in to Uluru as a daytrip.
I just don't like the idea of that overcrowded, overpriced camping at Yulara..

Offline Superjac

• WPC Forum Member
  • WPC Member #: 130
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
Lake Eyre is only a relative hop step and jump from Oodnadatta may still have water in it after all the rain that went through there.
Love to get out that way again. we will see how things pan out with Lesley

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2018, 03:17:10 PM »
For anyone interested, there is a good chance that this trip will now not head south from Alice Springs.
It may, instead, head NW along the Tanami Track to Halls Creek for a few days, before doing a few long days on the bitumen to get back home.
This is as a result of my son moving temporarily to Halls Creek, so I may detour past there to catch up with him.
The reason I am hesitant is that Halls Creek is a sh!thole and, even with my son there, I'm not convinced that I want to go there.
If anyone shows interest in this trip I'll make a decision on the final route... up 'till then I'll stay non-committal ;)
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2018, 08:55:39 PM by Howezit »

Offline the evil twin

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »
snip...
This is as a result of my son moving temporarily to Halls Creek, so I'll detour past there to catch up with him.

Guess he'll have to move on to Cooktown if Halls Creek isn't far enough...  >:D

Tanami is one I haven't done but #1 Son worked on the Gold mines out that way a few years back (FIFO from Darwin).
He said can be a PIA if they are moving stock but it is what it is, same as all touring, almost impossible/impractical to work an Itinerary around the road crews.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
snip...
This is as a result of my son moving temporarily to Halls Creek, so I'll detour past there to catch up with him.
Guess he'll have to move on to Cooktown if Halls Creek isn't far enough...  >:D
After 4 months in Halls Creeek it's on to Kununurra.. so just a little bit further  :(
After that.. I dunno......

Offline doc evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2018, 04:51:34 AM »
For anyone interested, there is a good chance that this trip will now not head south from Alice Springs.
It may, instead, head NW along the Tanami Track to Halls Creek for a few days, before doing a few long days on the bitumen to get back home.
This is as a result of my son moving temporarily to Halls Creek, so I may detour past there to catch up with him.
The reason I am hesitant is that Halls Creek is a sh!thole and, even with my son there, I'm not convinced that I want to go there.
If anyone shows interest in this trip I'll make a decision on the final route... up 'till then I'll stay non-committal ;)

Ummmmm........why????

Caroline pool is an amazing place to camp, Old halls creek is worth to visit to look at the ruins, China Wall, Palm springs and let's not forget the famous meteorite crater..........
Spoilt for choice and some brilliant camp spots......
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

Ummmmm........why????

Caroline pool is an amazing place to camp, Old halls creek is worth to visit to look at the ruins, China Wall, Palm springs and let's not forget the famous meteorite crater..........
Yep.. but it's the town itself that's a problem.. Trying to find somewhere to safely leave a camper without it being targeted. The caravan park has so many episodes of theft and breakins (like yesterday) that is not where I'd want to be overnight.. or even leave my camper unattended overnight (while I stay with Matt). Any googling will result in the same comments "Go straight through..". Those places you mention are worth visiting tho'...  ;)

Offline doc evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2018, 05:03:36 AM »

Ummmmm........why????

Yep.. but it's the town itself that's a problem.. Trying to find somewhere to safely leave a camper without it being targeted. The caravan park has so many episodes of theft and breakins (like yesterday) that is not where I'd want to be overnight.. or even leave my camper unattended overnight (while I stay with Matt). Any googling will result in the same comments "Go straight through..". Those places you mention are worth visiting tho'...  ;)

So I'm gathering that your perception of the town is done by others.......... I can name almost any town in Australia where they say "drive thru, don't stop! There has been thefts".
If you're that concerned, contact a roadhouse or mechanics there and see how much it'll cost to "store" the camper for a few nights.

If we all believed FB as to the state of a town/place/area we'd all be cocooned in cotton wool on the couch at home!!

"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »

Ummmmm........why????

So I'm gathering that your perception of the town is done by others.......... I can name almost any town in Australia where they say "drive thru, don't stop! There has been thefts".
If you're that concerned, contact a roadhouse or mechanics there and see how much it'll cost to "store" the camper for a few nights.

If we all believed FB as to the state of a town/place/area we'd all be cocooned in cotton wool on the couch at home!!
Yeah.. contacting someone to store the camper is a great idea!.. I never thought of that :)
Matt left yesterday.. he should be there in a few days, and the deal is that I'll be waiting to hear their verdict once they've been there a month before I take the rest of the stuff I've read seriously.

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
OK.. this trip has been taken off the trip calendar so as not to clutter the calendar.
It's still happening if anyone is interested.. although it has changed direction a bit and lengthened itself.