Western Patrol Club Inc.

Julimar day-trip Sunday 12th August

Online Grover

• WPC Member #: 113
Julimar day-trip Sunday 12th August
« on: 12 August, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »
So, what did I learn:

-   Mining vehicles are transported on Sunday morning; who knew? First stuck on Roe Highway, then on the Great Northern Highway. This is the only reason I was late and received the trip-report.

-   Last time I went to Julimar was ~5 years ago (also an XLR8 trip); Liam was three years old then, and was happy to drive up hills….now he is eight, and wants to walk up them! He slept on the drive home, I did not, I write this now as I will be too sore in the morning.

-   Related to the point above, there is nothing wrong with spending your weekend playing Fortnite, if the alternative is making your father walk up/down hills. I was wrong.

-   XLR8 is a weather charmer – couldn’t have as ked for a better day.

So, what did we do:

-   I forgot to take photo’s…maybe others will help.

-   I seem to remember twelve cars? Maybe +/1 one car. A very respectable turn-out.

-   Australia is an amazing place; two days of sunshine and a high-altitude track is dry and drive-able. In the valley, still wet, very wet.

-   Those who pushed hard and may have been recovered (dry – except for one, and there it was the fault of the door seals, which is clearly the fault of whomever installed them, and clearly not the driver). In all cases, these champions demonstrated great courage taking the more difficult line, the deeper water crossing (Dman – that looked quite close to me!). The spirit of adventure and exploration lives!

-   Above all else, sentimentality aside, we worked as a team. Small dilemma, simple recovery. Time for a rest and a play. Everyone home safe and well.

-   BIG turn-out; something is alive and well here.

Thank you to XLR8 for leading a great day-trip. A more perfect day we could not of hoped for. I had fun; and I confidently speak on behalf of others.

Offline XLR8

• TD KILLER
Re: Julimar day-trip Sunday 12th August
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »
Cheers for the write up Grover. It was a discussion had last night when we got home about who to nominate trip reporter but as the last to arrive, the first bog and biggest interior flooding were all owned by visitors/guests, it was a tough call.

Thank you for volunteering  :cup:

Offline Dman

• Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
Great write up Grover!! & Also a BIG thank you to Mike for organising such a great day out!!
As for the water crossing ............ I think only the video footage will fully explain!! Hopefully Mike can get that off Chris at some point!!

Thank you to all who came & made it the day out it was!! Looking forward to the next one!!

Offline SteveNDee

• WPC Member #: 165
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »
Thank you Mike again for organising.
The weather was perfect, the turn out (of cars) was great. This was the first time we had been to Julimar and we were impressed. Close to Perth but with lots of 4wding fun to be had. Mud!! You can never have enough mud puddles to drive thru or fall in as said Son demonstrated to everyone  >:(
The tracks were great, you could make it more challenging or as easy as you wanted.
Group atmosphere was good. Everyone was easy to talk to and if you needed help or had any questions everyone was there to help.
A great day had by all - even having been awake for over 20hrs. :o
And when the kids fall asleep on the way home, you know its been a fun day.
Unfortunately I was not as hapsnappy with the photos as usual but the ones I took are up on the facebook page.  ;D

Offline Fish

• Trips Co-Ordinator
« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »
Well from the videos I've seen on Facebook looks like a lot of fun was had and I missed out...

but

:worthles:

So where are they?
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

Offline BigCol

• WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2018, 07:10:48 PM »
It was indeed a beautiful day.
the Sun was shining
the birds were singing
the road verges along Chittering Road were well and truly wet, some under a lot of water. Certain sections next to Brockman River were well and truly flooded, not seen that for many a year.

Pooie performed extremely well, given my lack of faith in Her abilities, but no matter what I did (at high revs and speed, through water and up hills) she kept asking for "MORE..............."

I had arrived at Mikes place at about 7.00 am, so as not to miss the start, and trundled in convoy with Mike and Tanika (in their respective Triton's) to Gingers, for a quick top up of fuel and Bacon and cheese toasted sandwiches.

on the way, I found out that:
1) lifted Triton's speedo's are not accurate
2) standard height Triton's speedo's are not accurate
but I digress
once at Gingers, Brody arrived, so did a formerly impeccable Black Shorty - (long story, but to be told at another date) with Paul inside.
after food and fuel (well, both food really, just depends on your point of view) - "sustenance for the car and body" would probably be a better assumption

we all tootled off towards Red Roof Hotel, to await any others arriving.
when we arrived, there was a group of Bikers obviously doing what we were about to do - awaiting others, so was quite funny watching their faces as a group of 4wds barreled into the parking lot.

we were lucky, in that Steve & Dee turned up, then GQ Y60 and then also Dman, a small wait, and then one of Mikes friends Chris arrived, and not long after that Grover graced us with his presence, albeit with a very plausible excuse, a couple of CAT 793's on low loaders blocking the Hwy............

once settled and Trip pep talk done, we were off...........
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia