• President
  • WPC Member #: 100
WPC CAMP OVEN COOK UP
« on: 20 August, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
ANNUAL WPC CAMPOVEN COOK UP
AUSTRAX 4X4, BROOKTON
17 – 20 AUGUST 2018

Ladies and Gents,

The annual Campoven cook up is now done and dusted. We had 11 vehicles with 26 people attending.

Well this got into full swing on Wed 15th August when I collected the key for the AUSTRAX Property from Averley.

Thursday for me was a flurry of activity with the majority of the CT packed all I had to do was load up some essential staples. After a quick dash to the stockfeeds to replenish Heidi’s dwindling Hay stocks it was time for a quick shower before dashing to Harrisdale and for food and fuel. Made it back to home plate packed and was ready to go at 1200. I had arranged to meet John (Superjacs) & Lesley (Mrs Superjac) at my house at 1300. A quick call to let them know I was ahead of schedule only to find they were on their way via The Spud Shed.

We hit the road for Brookton a 1245 and made good time arriving at the property at 1440. We promptly opened up the kitchen, connected the pump and flashed up the generator, before setting up our campsites. After a flurry of activity our Ct’s were all sorted just as John and Lesley’s friends Ken and Estella arrived with their van. They set up and we headed off to collect some wood for the nights fire. With this mission accomplished we lit said fire and selected our perches for the evening. A wonderful night as had around the fire and a couple of tasty beverages. Dinner was Beef stew made by John and was delicious. We all turned in about 2300.

Friday morning dawned a bit chilly but the view down the valley was to awesome, oh and the serenity. We all started to rise from about 0700 and made our way to the camp kitchen for our morning cuppa. Oh, and the serenity. Our Friday arrivals started to trickle in from about 1130 the first to arrive being BillSTS and Lisa with their little Expander going off grid for the first time. Next came BigCol, Lorraine, Catherine and Angle (the pup). Thomas, Bec and kids arrived not long after closely followed by Steph and Cass with their three kids. Dermot (Dman) and last to arrive was Iaian (Iffy) and Jamie (Goose). We all proceeded to select our spots around the fire, but this only led to musical chairs as people mingled and moved around to catch up with someone or to meet someone new. Dman and I were the last to bed at 0130.

Saturday morning was freezing cold and so everyone stayed hidden under their covers with only a few brave souls appearing before 0800. As people emerged and cuppas were had plans began to hatch as some had to start cooking early to make it by 1800. Paul & Tiala (Kinang & Ames Kinang) arrived about 0900, followed by Greg and Pauline (Jonesy & Mrs Jonesy) arrived around 1100ish and dived right in with the rest of us. The last to arrive for the weekend was Andrew (AB) and son Logan. There were campovens swinging, ozpigs singing and choofers choofing. We had Pork, Lamb, Beef Rump, Beef Brisket, Beef Ribs, Mild Chilli Con Carne, Hot Chilli Con Carne, Argentinian Chilli Con Carne, BBQ Fish, Chicken, Potato and Leek Soup, Popcorn Chicken, Spicy Burnt Chicken, Sweet Corn, Beans and Garlic, Coleslaw, Salad, Potato Bake, Garlic Bread, Prawn Crackers, Yoghurt Bread, Damper, Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese I think that was all, I may be wrong. This was followed by Apple Crumble, Bread and Butter Pudding, Custard, Ice Cream and Thick Cream.

On completion we all sat around the fire feel well satisfied. I take my hat off to all of you who gave this a go. Cooking on fire for the first time can be daunting but the aim is to have a go. The lively banter ensued after our mighty feast and with full bellies people started heading to bed around 2230.

Sunday saw those that had work or school commitments packed slowly and headed home. Leaving only Me, John and Lesley, Ken and Estella, Bill and Lisa. Dinner consisted of leftovers followed by tiramisu for dessert, before we all moved back to the fire and some more tall stories.

Monday was a slow pack up as we had done most of it the day before, so after finishing up we set to with gusto to clean up the amenities and lock up before heading home ourselves.

I thank all of you who came for attending and for showing so much enthusiasm for the event. The food was delicious and plentiful. I hope to see you all at the next cook up. But more importantly the WPC Gymkhana in September.

I had an awesome time. Great food, awesome people, beautiful surroundings.

OH DID I MENTION THE SERENITY.

If you have some picture please post them up.

Thanks

Budds
« Last Edit: 21 August, 2018, 11:32:59 AM by Budds »
Lest We Forget

R U OK

Online KINANG

• Vice President
  • WPC Member #: 162
Re: WPC CAMP OVEN COOK UP
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »
Yes you did mention the serenity but you forgot about me and AB.. lol  >:D

I'd like to thank everyone involved in the weekend. It was an amazing trip and it just keeps getting better and better.. good to see the families getting involved too..

I'll get tiala to put some photos up soon

Cheers
Paul

Offline Budds

• President
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »
Oops, sorry all fixed now.
Lest We Forget

R U OK

Offline Budds

• President
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
This what my Beef Ribs looked like after marinating in 12yo Tawny Port, Chilli, Honey, Soy and Garlic for 3.5 days and spending 3.5 hours in the Choofer

They were yummy.
Lest We Forget

R U OK

Offline BigCol

• WPC Member #: 054
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2018, 05:01:34 PM »
a couple of piccies
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

Offline BigCol

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
and another
DID YOU KNOW......Great Northern Highway links Western Australia's capital city Perth with its northernmost port, Wyndham. With a length of almost 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi), it is the longest highway in Australia

Offline BigCol

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
both Katherine and Angel (the dog) had a great time

(not sure who Catherine and angle (the pup) are..............)

hehehehehe

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »
Great weekend thank you. Kids had a ball. I think a CHOOFER is definitely on the shopping list.Look forward to September. Thanks again.

Online Dman

• Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
Great weekend, great company & great food!! Thanks to all who came & made it the weekend it was!!

« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
This what my Beef Ribs looked like after marinating in 12yo Tawny Port, Chilli, Honey, Soy and Garlic for 3.5 days and spending 3.5 hours in the Choofer

They were yummy.

You should be in Master Chef and not 4WD hehehe!  Great job by all and totally awesome weekend.  Thank you all.

Offline AB

• WA4WDA Delegate
  • WPC Member #: 148
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
Great event.  Thanks everyone for making my son, Logan, feel welcome and for feeding us both!
Terrific venue for such an event.
Well done trip leader!