Offline Fish

• Trips Co-Ordinator
Canning Stock Route 2019
« on: 02 October, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »
What: Canning Stock Route 2019

Where: Canning Stock Route South to North

When: Sunday 30th June 2019 – Saturday 3rd August 2019

Who: Club Members

Trip Leader: Fish (Would like 2 others to be across the trip minimum and involved in planning)

Terrain:
1 - Relatively Easy (Beginners)
2 - Moderate to Easy
3 - Moderate
4 - Moderate to Serious
5 - Serious and Endurance

Rating out of 5 will be?: 2 – 4 (Depends on track conditions)

Distance: Exact distances to be confirmed but below are some estimates
Perth to Wiluna 1200 km approx.
Canning Stock Route through to Halls Creek 1800 km approx.
Halls Creek to Broome 700 km approx. (Optional)
Halls Creek to Mitchell Plateau 850 km approx. (Optional)
Mitchell Plateau to Prince Regent River 300km approx. (Optional)
Mitchell Plateau to Broome via The Gibb River Road approx. 900km (optional)
Broome to Perth 2300km approx. via Gt Northern Hwy

Description: So the Canning Stock Route has been a bucket list trip of mine for quite a while now and I’m sure it has for others in the club. It’s a few cut lunches and a carton just to get to the start of it so this won’t be for the faint of heart.

Permits are required and need to be obtained from

- https://permits.canningstockroute.net.au/
- https://4wda.org.au/canning_stock_route.php

Also, information from Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/

Cars need to be in tip top mechanical shape and you will want to have a decent list of spares with you just in case. Plan would be to have vehicles inspected prior to departing for mechanical roadworthiness and to make sure there are minimal issues that might bite us while on the trip.

Ideally, I would like to have multiple people (3 maybe more) involved in the planning of this trip

Car Limit: 7

Dog Friendly: No

Meeting Point: Gingers Roadhouse Great Northern Highway

Meeting time: 8:30am for 9am departure

Comms: Primary: UHF CH 20. Secondary: UHF CH 18
Satphones, personal locators and HF radios also encouraged

What To Bring: Camping Equipment, Food, Water, Other beverages you may want to drink e.g. alcoholic, soft drink etc, minimum 2 spare tyres on rims, assorted spares including shocks, oil, water, radiator sealant, spare oil, fuel and air filters, globes, electrical wire, heatshrink, leccy tape, puncture repair kit, extensive first aid kit, spare batteries for radios, cameras, more to be added

Disclaimer: "WPC and Aaron Fisher (Fish) accept no liability for any loss, damage or injury to persons or property arising from attending this trip. While all due care will be taken, no responsibility will be granted. If you act inappropriately whilst on the trip, you will be asked to leave"

Please post here if you are coming along and PM with a mobile number. If we have your mob number we can check if you are running late and organise another meeting point. If you drop out late we can contact you and the rest of the crew can get moving instead of hanging around wondering.

Definites:

Fish
Howezit
Dman
Doc

Maybes:

Newbies:

Guests:
« Last Edit: 16 October, 2018, 09:55:33 PM by Fish »
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
  • WPC Member #: 119
Re: Canning Stock Route 2019
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
I'm in :)
And I'll help you with the prep as well.
My only issue is it may only be possible for me to leave on Sat 1st June, but I'll do what I can.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Offline Dman

• Sshhhh Dont Tell the Mrs
  • WPC Member #: 150
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
I'm in too

I'm also currently trying to get hold of a mates planning docs who did the CSR a few years ago!!

My leave form is in! Whether it gets approved or not is irrelevant!!

Offline doc evil

• Where the air is clear as crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze
  • Through the ranges and the gorges....
    • West OZ Challenge
  • WPC Member #: 019
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
Sounds like we need a pub parrrrrtttt...……………….ummmmmmmm…………...planning meeting ;D ;D
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Fish

• Trips Co-Ordinator
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Sounds like we need a pub parrrrrtttt...……………….ummmmmmmm…………...planning meeting ;D ;D

I like the way you think Doc  >:D probably more than 1 to get this fully organised. Are you keen?
2004 GU 4.2TD ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel
Statistics

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
That's a perfectly understandable suggestion :)  ;D

Offline Dman

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
I think the real question is where & when??

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
I'll offer my offices with free beer... maybe free pizza...
But that's obviously just me trying to get the meeting NOR :)
But there's no big rush... methinks..
It's worth waiting to see who else is interested so that they can be included as well if they're keen.

Offline doc evil

• West OZ Challenge
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2018, 06:22:10 AM »

I like the way you think Doc  >:D probably more than 1 to get this fully organised. Are you keen?

yep, as keen as a kookaburra on lone snag at a bbq………...
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."

Our lockers, who art in the diffs Hallowed be thy name, thy traction come,thy will be done,in mud as it is in rocks,give us this day,our daily tread and forgive us our rollovers…

***in australia - if your gut as to chest ratio exceed 1.5 as to 1 - you MUST grow a goatee - its the law***

Offline Dusty

• WPC Member #: 133
« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
I live in Derby so happy to show a few sights along the GIBB. The track to Mitchell Falls is extremely long and the road is in really bad. There are several locations that are just as good which are off the normal tourist radar which I would be willing to take out to.
Go hard or go home

Offline Fish

• Trips Co-Ordinator
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:10:58 PM »
Thanks Dusty I'm sure we will take you up on that offer. I'll be in contact once we get this bedded down.
Statistics

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
North to South has 2 advantages:
- Not looking into the sun all day.
- You should get a better perspective of the colours of the desert with the sun behind you.

Offline Dman

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
North to South has 2 advantages:
- Not looking into the sun all day.
- You should get a better perspective of the colours of the desert with the sun behind you.

However South to north has 1 major advantage for us 4.2s. The northern side of the sand dunes are longer,steeper & more rutted!

Offline doc evil

• West OZ Challenge
« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
With regard to direction, it's "either or"...…...however, like traversing in mountainous country the vehicle heading up has right of way, that is an unwritten code. Other unwritten codes are direction of travel like the old Tele track up Cape York - south to north, CREB track - south to north, Simpson Desert - west to east, Googs track SA - south to north, Connie Sue - south to north, Anne Beadell - east to west and likewise the canning - south to north. These are preferred travel direction.

You will find the majority of vehicles travel like this. there is no reason to go against the trend (well except the high country uphill rule) however, expect more vehicles coming toward us.

Me personally, I prefer south to north. That way you don't have the sun blasting in the driver's window in the arvo (morning sun is cooler) and a second preference, I'd like to get onto the CSR sooner   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 06 October, 2018, 09:59:15 AM by doc evil »

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
Here's a decent summary of what's involved in this trip...
https://www.exploroz.com/treks/canning-stock-route

Offline Howezit

• Treasurer
« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
The northern side of the sand dunes are longer,steeper...
Hmmm... You'd be forgiven for surmising that this reply is penned by a sceptic  :P
But the "science" of geometry as well as logic would seem to suggest that one side of a triangle (the top of the dune being the tip of the triangle.. the bottom N and S being the other 2 corners) cannot be both longer *and* steeper than the opposite side.
Now.. I know.. Mother Nature....
And I'm not looking for an explanation...
After over 30 years of marriage I've learned (well.. been forced to accept is probably more accurate) that neither science nor logic can necessarily even be relevant in trying to understand actions or results attributed to those engendered in the same ilk as *Mother* Nature.

So.. are we there yet?
Which way are we going?.. the less steep and shorter way?

And.. while we're in the zone of trying to reason where reason is inappropriate... (but this is a genuine question) why is it that the north side of the dunes is more rutted when everyone is chewing up the south side on the climb? Or is it just the base of the dune on the N side that takes a hammering as the guys bottom out there?.. Thus making it harder to hit the N side of the dune with momentum..?

Offline the evil twin

• If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member #: 007
« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
Pfffft... if its the Sun, the Dunes and the colours then simply go South to North in reverse gear... ticks all the boxes.

On the CSR the North side is steeper 'cause that is how Mother Nature stacks 'em when she makes 'em (the slip face is always steeper than the windward side).
Cause its steeper every mofo doing N to S metals it trying to get over the dune as the slip face is also softer as well as steeper
« Last Edit: 06 October, 2018, 01:59:44 PM by the evil twin »

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Offline doc evil

• West OZ Challenge
« Reply #17 on: 08 October, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
It's worth waiting to see who else is interested so that they can be included as well if they're keen.

I'm thinking the sooner the betterer…………get the basics sorted, date and a rough itinerary being the most important.

Offline Dman

« Reply #18 on: 08 October, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »

I'm thinking the sooner the betterer…………get the basics sorted, date and a rough itinerary being the most important.

I concur! But that’s just me!!

Offline doc evil

• West OZ Challenge
« Reply #19 on: 08 October, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »

I concur! But that’s just me!!

Cool...……….Graham, which night is best for you and pizza  ;D ;D ;D :cup: :cheers: :cup: