Western Patrol Club Inc.

Southern Mud 19/07

Offline the evil twin

• If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member #: 007
Southern Mud 19/07
« on: 20 July, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Fresh from the pen of our omnipresent trip scribe, UKKIWI...

The rain lashed down all night and the morning of the Southern Mud trip dawned overcast.  I stared out of the window at this gloomy sight and dubiously wondered aloud “Perhaps we shouldn’t go today, we’ve only got road tyres and we’ll just be skidding and getting bogged, it’ll be hopeless”.  Chris took a moment away from shovelling muesli into his mouth and looked at me with a great big grin on his face “Hell, yeah!”

We were travelling south towards the allotted Pinjarra meet and time was getting on when, almost on cue, the mobile phone rang.  I answered it and listened to Brisey, our trip leader, asking us how far away we were.  This was quickly decoded as “We’re all here and ready to go, so where are you two?”.  “Just driving through North Dandalup, we’ll be there in five” I replied cheerfully.  We arrived at the Pinjarra Bakery to a car park packed with vehicles of which eleven belonged to the WPC.  Now, you would expect, being just a tad late, to be received by a lynch mob with big frowns on their faces and grumbling voices.  But no, we were met by smiley, happy, people and within two seconds I realised why.  “You’re here last, so you’re the trip report writer – ha, ha, ha”  Oh noooo, I had forgotten about this quaint little WPC tradition.

So, with a Bushwacker pie in the driver’s hand and a custard tart in the ‘Financial Advisor’s hand, we set off down the tarmac.  Another shower loomed along with the sun breaking through to give us a fantastic rainbow.  One could be all overcome with all ‘karma’ and ‘feng shui’ or such, as the convoy of twelve WPC vehicles snake their way under the rainbow ….

In no time at all, we exchanged the bitumen for gravely sand as we head up the Logue Brook Dam Road with Evil’s Folly in mind for the first stop.  “Okay, only four at a time to take on this hill” said Brisey over the 2-way and with that he was off.  Luckily everyone stopped, got out of their vehicles and stood at the entrance of Evil’s Folly to watch the folly that was now Brisey skidding his way up a newly graded soft track with a huge dose of water added over the past few days.  Adding further insult to injury the heavens opened and down came a further deluge of H20.  However, never one to be deterred by such discomfort, ET, sniffing his first recovery, was up the hill after his prey.  There was a soft spot in the track that pushed the vehicles to the side and the obligatory tree.  After a hundred point turn Brisey was finally heading in the correct direction back down hill.  ET then performed a brilliant pirouette turn, in one, avoiding a tree and several helpers before crabbing cautiously back down the skid pan of a hill.

With such an auspicious start, we pressed on along the track, turning right under the power lines (look at the view, look at the view, ahhh!), right down Bull Ant Alley (I was bitten by one of the blighters last November and I have a long memory) where we came to a halt once more.  Brisey was skidding around somewhere in front and those of us further back were contemplating the overheating of GEC’s GQ.  Progressing, we tracked left down Wombat Way (there were two huge wombat holes) and the cavalry came to a halt once again as we contemplated the mighty ‘Two Winch Hill’ (named post event).  By this time three vehicles with the grunt and gnarly tyres had made it up the hill but Fish, with his roadies, hardly made a dent in the ascent.  And so it started, over an hour’s worth of winching vehicles both forwards and backwards, endless games of Pluggers "Find the Shackle Pin I dropped in the Bottomless Mire" and constant outbreaks of hilarity at the windmilling arms and racing legs of people trying to avoid a sticky end.  The “little Navara which could” managed to use ‘her’ own winch to slowly crawl up the hill.  GEC then came thundering up as only his vehicle knows how and then stood as King of the Castle, winching everyone else up.  The slushy mud grew deeper with each vehicle churning up more ruts followed by, yet again, another downpour.   Were we having fun?  You bet – the boys were covered in mud, whilst running back and forth with winch cables and snatch straps and in full voice “straighten up, now right, no right, no, your ‘other’ right” etc – this was recovery at its best.  Other trip members tried to tip-toe through the mire looking for best photographic angle.  However the prize must go to Mrs Evil who fell and climbed out of the muddy hole with trousers covered but was triumphant in holding the precious camera aloft, not a spec of brown on it.

Finally, the whole convoy was up the hill and we eagerly looked forward to moving on, however, just a few feet around the corner was another steep, slippery hill.  Yet again the winch was required but only for one vehicle (Fish) this time.  Drivers peered through red mist as they revved their engines at the base of the hill ready to slip the clutch and go.  They were going to make this hill come hell or high water.  There was much engine roar and skidding and spinning but most managed to crawl their way to the top.  I wondered if Brisey was rethinking his forum entry earlier that week in which he estimated it would take each car 5 mins to reach the top of each hill – hmmm, and the rest!   All together, once again, having covered oh around 3 km’s, we progressed around the block back to the power lines for lunch.

Suitably replenished we pushed on again for a more relaxed afternoon along some drier tracks until we came upon a tree down over the path in a dense wooded area.  The boys gathered at the front of the convoy, much sucking of teeth and deliberation ensued followed by “let’s attach a snatch strap and drag it back”, at which point the guest driver of the ‘little Navara that could’ appeared with an axe in hand (what do you mean you don’t all carry an axe?).  He set to and chopped off a few branches that were left over the path and with our track clearing complete, we pressed on.  The last bit of fun for the day was the ‘run up’ (being the alternative word!) McGyver Hill which was devoid of mud but consists of several boulders and holes to test the drivers. 

All in all, it was a brilliant, fun day and our thanks go to Brisey and his faithful TEC Coopers for taking on possibly one of the most technical if not the most ‘recoverable’ trips ever!

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Re: Southern Mud 19/07
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
Pictures and Vids

Courtesy of MAX
a small vid goin up two winch hill

Courtesy of Evil Twin

"Evils Folly" after someone greased it... Attempts 2... Success's 0... Soiled Undies 2

"Two Winch Hill" the bottom half of the bottom... Attempts 137... Success's 5... Winches 132

"MAX" shifting some mud from the track to... well... anywhere

"MISSY" a perfectly good Navara parked in a really weird place

"The little Blue Navara that Could" moving the mud that Max missed

The highly trained well oiled WPC Winching machine in action

"FISH" getting just a little helping hand

"UKKIWI" after conquering McGyvers Hill with the awesome power of the 2.8

"PEACHES" displaying some more of that "King of the Clubs Champion" form

"THE HILL MOB" exchanging friendly insults, I mean, encouragement (Gotcha Walter)

« Last Edit: 21 July, 2009, 02:36:46 PM by WPC Trips Subcommittee »