Western Patrol Club Inc.

Beachy's Mid-week Wander Oct 08

Offline the evil twin

• If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member #: 007
Beachy's Mid-week Wander Oct 08
« on: 02 October, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
Showery weather was the order of the day for those hardy souls willing to risk life and limb on another of Beachy's world famous explorations. Beachy, Evil Twin, Megs, Dustyboy and Brisey (guest) were soon keen we managed to meet up well before the official meeting point at Armadale and it was off to the Forests and Swamps "somewhere over near Beverley and close to York sorta". Seriously tho, if you get a chance tag along on one of these trips as they are heaps of fun and always into somewhere new.

A quick stop off so Beachy and Brisey could introduce the rest of us to the joys of Geo-caching was also an opportunity for ET to snap a few stills of some wildflowers.

So a couple snaps and a succesful cacheing "find" accomplished it was back in the trucks and off the bitumen at Yarra Road. Oh, yeah, the trucks... well our convoy was a small but varied one with a GQ and a GU Trayback, a GQ and a GU Wagon, and, to keep us all honest... Brisey in his "Nissan" Wrangler. Anyway, up Yarra Road, turn off here, shortcut there, work our way over yonder was the order of the day with a fair bit of radio chatter from the GPS nerds keeping us on track for the first swamp. On the track in, Beachy was lamenting the severe lack of water and unbelievably dry conditions and kept apologising for what may be a "non-event".
We soon arrived at the first bit of water covered track which "usually has about at least another foot of water over it" and in true trip leader mode Beachy plunged ahead. Plunged was the operative word as whilst it wasn't all that deep initially it kept getting deeper in a grey slippery evil smelling ooze that dragged him to a stop.

Luckily ET just happened to have strategically parked on the track so no-one else could get a strap onto him and as everyone else fell about laughing Beachy used his seamanship skills to lasso his rear recovery hook and with the other end attached to the Grey Ghost he was soon back on dry land and draining the water out of the cab. The rest of us looked at each other and promptly did a U'ey to go play in some muddy ruts we had spotted as we sure weren't going in where Beachy had been.

Whereupon Beachy almost immediately hung up on his diffs and was in need of a bit of friendly assistance yet again. We figured the only way to pull him back into line was to let Brisey in his Wrangler have the recovery honours while the rest of us got some suitable "blackmail" photos for judicious use at a later time.
With Beachy out and about again ET handed his Vid Camera to Dustyboy to get a few shots of The Grey Ghost working thru the ruts. Ash did as requested and when I returned from the other end of the ruts I was greeted by an apologetic Ash covered in mud but only concerned with a big glob of goo that got on the Camera... I wasn't worried about the Cam, I was worried about Ash's reaction to getting mud spat all over him but it was all good.

Megs had been quietly going pretty much everywhere the rest of us had but was champing at the bit for his new MTZ's which hadn't arrived prior to the trip so he was still on AT's (see ya at Napier on Sunday with ya new treads, Cobber). A quick conflab and we made the decision to work our way to a spot Beachy and Brisey had picked out on Google Earth. We would do a few K's getting there but would check out some more geo-caches, a bit of local history and call at Mt Observation on the way to the super secret spot.

The group at Manyuering Springs checking out the ruins from a couple of centuries ago

After we left the Spring, Brisey undid all his great work of recovering Beachy earlier in the day by getting the SWB of the Wrangler jammed in a washout that was exactly 2mm's longer than his wheelbase which proves that on rare occasions having a big ar2e can be an advantage. A coupla quick photo's to prove it, a nicely executed snatch from Dustyboy and we were away again (that other minor issue we will take to our graves, eh Brisey). During the transits we kept stumbling across small playgrounds and circuits of a few hectares of creek banks that were bone dry but very steep so we stop here and there for a play before we lobbed at Mt Observation for a look around at a geo-cache. We pushed on to explore a bit more mud at the super secret spot which was a flat open swamp with a rutted water filled track about 1,500 Metres long around the circumference so one look at that and around the track we went, including Dan who was working his rig hard with the AT's but made it OK.

A quick conflab and a decision whether to do 1/2 the powerlines in reverse, (direction not gear), or to air up, have a drink and head off was made easier with a few showers threatening it was decided to give the powerlines a miss and head for home. ET was glald of that 'cause his right rear brake was making a decidely ugly metal on metal grinding sound (due to an uneven wear pattern on one pad) and Ash decided to head off via Mundaring.

We covered well over 300 K's and got home around 6 with little damage 'cept Beachy was probably gunna cop it from Jan because they were leaving for a week's camping down Pemby way at 7 the next morning and there was no way her side of the truck would be dried out by departure.

Thanks from all of us for organising the day Beachy, it was a blast. 

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.

Offline the evil twin

• If I get it out can I keep it?
  • WPC Member #: 007
Re: Beachy's Mid-week Wander Oct 08
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »
... and a quick vid of a portion of the trip.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/If3CQF2tQRE"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/If3CQF2tQRE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

If it's Tourist Season why is it illegal to shoot 'em?.

"3 Tits... Awesome"

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not having a second childhood, I'm stuck in my first one.